Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
possible electrical problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2010, 10:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question possible electrical problems?

Hi I've had my '06 limited pt cruiser since August but I'm concerned that it may have some electrical issues. About a week ago the light under where you shift gears stopped lighting up (where it says P R N D 1 etc.). I didn't think much of it but when I was driving yesterday someone at a red light informed me that my right brake light wasn't working. I checked it out when I got home and my tail lights are working fine, but when I push on the brakes only the left light gets brighter. I'm not sure what this means as I know very little about cars (this is my first). Also, about a month ago my gas light was on then it randomly switched to the oil light turning on instead even though my gas was low and I had just gotten my oil changed not too long before. I turned my car off and everything was back to normal when I turned it back on (the gas light turned on but not the oil). I don't know if any of these things are related but any input would really help! I want to know what I'm getting into before I take it to the dealership. Thanks in advance!
Old 11 Apr 2010, 12:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: possible electrical problems?

The brake lamp is a "dual filament" bulb.

One element as a rear position lamp and the other as the brake lamp. They can burn out independently--should be a DIY--pull the bulb and give it a visual inspection--If you can not tell--buy the correct replacement bulb and test it out.

This is not a dealership repair! It is time for your automotive education to begin and you are in a great place to get advice and encouragement and it is all free!

Enjoy your ride.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 07:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well if its as simple as just replacing a light bulb then I won't be going to the dealership. I'm glad I came here first

What do I do about the light under where I shift gears? Is there a simple way to replace the light in there?
Old 11 Apr 2010, 10:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Look at the area around your shifter and indicator bar--that panel pops outs revealing the lamp-there you will find the (hoepfully) offended bulb.

Replace it and see what happens--

You are on the way to personal satisfaction and the beginning of great savings.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 08:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple View Post
Well if its as simple as just replacing a light bulb then I won't be going to the dealership. I'm glad I came here first

What do I do about the light under where I shift gears? Is there a simple way to replace the light in there?
The rear lights just have one screw at the bottom - it's a torqx, but I think is slotted as well. Take screw out and pull from bottom, and light assembly will pivot out - there are some spring clamps on the sides...
Bulbs twist out.
Dunno about shifter light.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Jun 2010, 11:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have the same issue with my pt cruiser rear brakes and front right low beam. I have replaced them numerous times and place the conducting lube that is available but they still do not work!!!!!!!
Is there anything else I can do to avoid a costly repair

Tags
electrical, lights