Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Spare tire cage rattling???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2010, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Spare tire cage rattling???

Can anyone tell me how to stop the spare tire cage from rattling?? It is fishing season and my wife keeps bugging me to get it fixed. I have taken the tire out, tightened the letdown bolt. I need to get it fixed fast, I have a tournament this weekend and I'll never hear the end of it if I don't get it taken care of. Anyone had this problem??
Old 12 Apr 2010, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Spare tire cage rattling???

If you've taken the tire out, there's too much space left for everything to tighten down properly so it rattles. Why not put the tire back in?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 04:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The tire is back in. I originally took it out to see what was causing the rattling, pumped up the spare and put it back.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 04:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You may have to unwind the cable all of the way and then wind it back up, sometimes they can loosen and bind up that way.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Apr 2010, 04:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Like Hooligan mentioned, let down the cage/tire and watch it as it comes back up (even if you have to lay on the ground. It might not be coming back up correctly and even though it gets tight, it could be binding on something so it isn't fitting just right. There should be no room for the cage to rattle if it's put up correctly.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 05:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Took the tire cage completely off and it still is making a rattling noise in the back end. Any ideas??? Already had the shocks and struts checked.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 06:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You sure it's underneath? Inside: Tools in the cubby hole on the rear passenger side? Something rattling in the sub-woofer space on the drivers side?

Last edited by CREWZIN; 12 Apr 2010 at 06:48 pm.
Old 12 Apr 2010, 10:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassangler View Post
Took the tire cage completely off and it still is making a rattling noise in the back end. Any ideas??? Already had the shocks and struts checked.
I just bought a 2002 LE Woody and I have a clunk that's coming from the rear end when you hit a bump. After searching I found the Watts-Link is bad. The Watts-Link hooks on the middle of the rear axle with a bolt. It has a hole on top and bottom that hooks to what looks like tie rod ends that go to each rear wheel. To check if it's bad look underneath at the rear axle where the links bolts to the axle. Have someone push the back of the PT sideways.. look and see if the bushing on the Watts Link where the main bolt that hooks to the rear axle is worn out.. you will probably see it moving around a little sloppy. I found the Part on Advance Auto's web site under Watts Link if that's the problem. The only other place I found the part was at the dealer. It's $38 buck at Advanced but I had to wait 3 days to get it..I'm probably changing mine out tomorrow night..Looks somewhat easy to fix...I hope. Hope this might help.

Last edited by twress; 12 Apr 2010 at 10:05 pm.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 06:53 am
Senior Cruiser

Let us know how difficult it is to change the center pivot on the Watts linkage and how worn it was, how about some pictures.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 07:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
Let us know how difficult it is to change the center pivot on the Watts linkage and how worn it was, how about some pictures.
I'll get some out when I change it out hopefully tonight.