Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Track Arm Bushings??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2010, 06:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Track Arm Bushings??

So I got my control arms replaced at a local shop last week for the killer price of $80 plus parts and he noted on my invoice that I needed new track arm bushings. What is this? Watts Link? Bellcrank? Trailing arm bushings? I'm lost at to what he means. Anyone know? The back of the car is clunking, so I already knew that something needs replaced. I'm going to let him replace whatever it is because he's amazing on labor and knows his stuff. I just need to know what to buy since he lets me bring my own parts

Thanks in advance
Old 12 Apr 2010, 07:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Track Arm Bushings??

Show and tell.. Have him show ya and tell ya . A lot of Mech's call em diff things...
Old 12 Apr 2010, 10:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta02awp View Post
So I got my control arms replaced at a local shop last week for the killer price of $80 plus parts and he noted on my invoice that I needed new track arm bushings. What is this? Watts Link? Bellcrank? Trailing arm bushings? I'm lost at to what he means. Anyone know? The back of the car is clunking, so I already knew that something needs replaced. I'm going to let him replace whatever it is because he's amazing on labor and knows his stuff. I just need to know what to buy since he lets me bring my own parts

Thanks in advance
I have a clunk from the rearend to on my Woody I just bought....I just posted a few minutes ago about the Watts Link on mine being bad..Look at the thread on "spare tire cage rattling" under General Discussions my post #8 and it explains it. Hopes it helps.

Last edited by twress; 12 Apr 2010 at 10:22 pm.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 08:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by twress View Post
I have a clunk from the rearend to on my Woody I just bought....I just posted a few minutes ago about the Watts Link on mine being bad..Look at the thread on "spare tire cage rattling" under General Discussions my post #8 and it explains it. Hopes it helps.
I replaced the watts link today the clunk is gone... here's a picture of it. The link has what looks like 2 tierod ends on it. Took under 2 hours to do.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 09:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the pic. I did confirm that it is the bell crank. I got under the car and shook it side to side and there is visible movement (play) at the bell crank. Did you have to use any special tools? The haynes repair manual says you have to use a two jaw puller to remove the ball stud from the bell crank.
Old 15 Apr 2010, 07:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta02awp View Post
Thanks for the pic. I did confirm that it is the bell crank. I got under the car and shook it side to side and there is visible movement (play) at the bell crank. Did you have to use any special tools? The haynes repair manual says you have to use a two jaw puller to remove the ball stud from the bell crank.
I used a tie rod end removable tool, it looks like a fork on the end. That took some work to do remove it that way cause there isn't much room with the jackstands to get a good shot to drive the fork into the ball stud. If you used ramps it probably would give you more room to swing. It took under 2 hours to do by the time I got done screwing around finding the stuff I needed. I'll try to post a step by step way to do it today or tomorrow in the Wheels and Supension part of the fourm.