Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Towing with a PT Cruiser?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2010, 04:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Towing with a PT Cruiser?

Hey all, i have a 2004 PT Cruiser, just your basic model, no turbo or anything. I am looking at going cross country (Sacramento to Chicago) with a 4x8 U-haul trailer. Do you think it can handle this?
Just wondering what you all would recommend.

Thanks!
Old 13 Apr 2010, 04:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Towing with a PT Cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendraw00 View Post

Just wondering what you all would recommend.

Thanks!

I'd recommend a search of the forum.

Towing capacity of 2001 PT Cruiser

Towing With A PT Cruiser

Towing a PT Cruiser

Towing with the Cruiser

Towing question(s)

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 Apr 2010 at 04:24 pm.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 04:25 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Towing with a PT Cruiser?

Hey their kendraw00,

Welcome to the forum. As long as you keep it to around 1000 pounds or less you should be good to go. It might be a little slow going up hill but other than that you should be ok.

Depending on how far you drive per day, if you can make an average of 500 miles a day you should be able to make it in a little over 4 days without much problem. The only two hills you will have to pull is of course Donner Pass, and Sherman Pass out in Nebraska, but nothing too bad. I used to drive a Truck long haul for Fed Ex and made that trip a couple times a month so I know the 80 very well all the way across.

I wish you the very best on your trip, and hope all goes well. Other than that, you go easy, drive safe, and I will catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 13 Apr 2010, 04:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey there, thanks for replying...ok, so i'm a little new at this, here's anotehr question: Do I have to keep my load inside the trailer to 1000 pounds or less? Or is that total towing weight? cuz i'm confused, if the trailer itself weighs 850 empty...that doesn't leave much does it?

very puzzled.....
Old 13 Apr 2010, 05:14 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Towing with a PT Cruiser?

Hey their kendraw00,

No problem. The 1000 pounds would include the trailer weight plus cargo which is about the max recommended weight the PT can handle. Were you thinking about an enclosed Uhaul,or?

You really don't have a lot of pulling up hill to do so as long as you take it easy, and watch your temperature gauge closely as you will be working the small engine pretty good if you pull much more weight than that, you should still be ok. Just be careful and don't push things too hard and you should still be alright.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 13 Apr 2010, 05:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes i was thinking about a 4 X 8 enclosed trailer, which empty weighs 850, so that seems kind of well, not worth it. I mean, to haul 150 pounds of stuff?

Why bother?

Sigh....it is WAY more expensive, but perhaps i will be just getting a small truck and towing MY car....sigh.....

And yes, i've done the 80 drive several times myself, so i'm very familiar with it.

Years ago, my exhub and I drove from Chicago to Oregon in about 36 hours, but we were very young and took turns driving and just stayed up all night...lol.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 07:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Rent a bigger truck and tow the PT if you have a lot of stuff. Or rent a truck and get a buddy to drive your PT

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson