Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Code P0340 Cam Shaft Position Sensor A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2010, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Code P0340 Cam Shaft Position Sensor A

I know that this question has been asked a million times lol, i have read and searched all over the site, The problem that i am having is that i replaced the sensor and checked all the wiring with a volt meter and visually and have not found anything abnormal but im still getting the same code it will not go away when i erase it with my scanner it comes back before the scanner is event done erasing it, had the battery off for a whole night no difference,

the sensor is a mopar one picked it up from the dealer for $67 sad to say that it has not done any good, so aside from replacing the sensor and making sure all the wires are good what else could it be because the sensor is good and so are the wires but i still get the same po340 code and the car will not start, any help would be much appreciated.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 05:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Code P0340 Cam Shaft Position Sensor A

Welcome to the forum.
What is your mileage? You'll also get that code if your timing belt has broken so if your anywhere near 100K on the odometer, better check your belt.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 05:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum.
What is your mileage? You'll also get that code if your timing belt has broken so if your anywhere near 100K on the odometer, better check your belt.
its my sisters car just trying to get it running for her for cheep to avoid dealer costs we all know how those can get, it has 119k on it ill go and check the belt now to see if that is the problem, and thanks for the quick response.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmsta187 View Post
its my sisters car just trying to get it running for her for cheep to avoid dealer costs we all know how those can get, it has 119k on it ill go and check the belt now to see if that is the problem, and thanks for the quick response.
yep its the belt ahh that's going to be a great repair !
Old 13 Apr 2010, 07:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I wouldn't call it "great". The book calls for about 5 to 7 hours just for labor and they aren't kidding. To get clearance the engine has to be jacked up. We also recommend anybody doing the timing belt also do the water pump because it's in the same area and takes just as much labor hours to change that as it does the timing belt.

Luckaly it's a non-interference engine and not much damage can be done if the car was running when the belt gave way but the valves can hit each other so it needs to be checked out after the timing belt is changed.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 Apr 2010 at 07:19 pm.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 08:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I wouldn't call it "great". The book calls for about 5 to 7 hours just for labor and they aren't kidding. To get clearance the engine has to be jacked up. We also recommend anybody doing the timing belt also do the water pump because it's in the same area and takes just as much labor hours to change that as it does the timing belt.

Luckaly it's a non-interference engine and not much damage can be done if the car was running when the belt gave way but the valves can hit each other so it needs to be checked out after the timing belt is changed.
lol i was just being sarcastic when i said great haha but thanks for the help man.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 09:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No problem. Good luck.