Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
things to look for when buying a used pt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2010, 11:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default things to look for when buying a used pt

I'm in need of a 2nd car and I'm thinking about a used pt cruiser.

I've learned over the years that often many cars of the same make/model have similar problems at certain milage intervals. Have any of you found this to be true of the ptc?

Around what miles would you need to change a timing belt for example?

Are there any years best to avoid due to more than usual problems?

Other issues/problems I should look for and any other advice you are willing to share?
Old 17 Apr 2010, 12:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: things to look for when buying a used pt

good questions
Old 17 Apr 2010, 01:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to PTPatrick1985 Send a message via Yahoo to PTPatrick1985

Well from the site I've learned so far lurking in the darkness

Water pump and belts changed at 100,000 miles

No platinum spark plugs in turbo models

2006 model year seems to have a lot of trouble with the fan burning out (Base model)

Other than that, if the previous owner took care of it..Heck of a good car I love mine, even though my AC is out due to the above mentioned 2006 model year haha oops

Last edited by PTPatrick1985; 17 Apr 2010 at 01:19 am.
Old 17 Apr 2010, 01:19 am
Regular Cruiser

i have had good luck with pt cruisers
Old 17 Apr 2010, 01:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to PTPatrick1985 Send a message via Yahoo to PTPatrick1985

Glad I'm not the only one up at 2 AM on the message board
Old 17 Apr 2010, 01:34 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: things to look for when buying a used pt

this is my 2nd pt first one was 2002 base with 137.000 miles 2nd owner i never had timing belt done . up graded to a 2004 dream cruiser series 3 high out put turbo with 77.000 miles will need to do timing belt when it reaches 100.000 miles i do now its not cheep to replace . and if it breaks can be costly over all very reliable car . on my first one i did have to change a wheel bearing once .not uncomon because of high milage . we love our new 2004 hope this helps
Old 17 Apr 2010, 07:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Having owned 4 Pt's (only one was new), they were all reliable cars. None of them were of any high milage though, so can't say for long term problems. Did hear of water pumps and timing belts being replaced at about 100K. Seems like those people were doing the belt and did the pump while they were in there, or the other way around, don't recall which. Some people were doing upgrades on the bushings with stiffer materials, but that was back in '03/'04 models, don't know if DC has done any upgrade on those since then.
Now, after almost two years without a Cruiser, we're looking to get another one. Hopefully a DCII with the Getrag 5 speed or a low milage '03/'04 GT with a stick.
Hope this helps, Smallfry
Old 17 Apr 2010, 12:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all of the input. It sounds like the ptc is farily reliable if the owner took decent care of it.

For those who have changed the belts and water pump is it difficult to get to? I've changed that stuff in older cars (78 dodge magnum, 86 jeep) but newer cars are more compact.

I'm searching craigs list in our area for one.

Last edited by djroge1; 17 Apr 2010 at 12:20 pm.
Old 17 Apr 2010, 01:53 pm
Young Cruiser

I'm in the middle of changing the water pump and timing belt and I am finding it to be a masochistic exercise. If you've got plenty of time and some amount of patience, you'll be fine with it. It's definitely much more difficult than the older water pumps and timing sets I've changed on older vehicles. One problem with the water pump is that it's behind the timing cover rather than bolted in front of the timing cover as is the case with many older vehicles. Therefore, you may as well replace the belt if you're going after the pump or replace the pump if you're going so far as to dig as deep as the belt anyway.

I've just stopped to take a break and cool down a little. The new pump is on but I'm having trouble getting the new belt installed. It's as though the thing is too short even though I've backed the tensioner off as far as it'll go.

By the way, my 2004 base model 5 speed has been quite dependable and I've maintained it carefully since I bought it new with 7 whole miles on it!
Old 18 Apr 2010, 10:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I just went through the the process of replacing my 2001 LE after it was just totaled out a few weeks ago..I didn't even think of buying anything other than another Cruiser..Your right on your list of stuff to look for. The 02 Woody LE I just bought didn't have the timing belt replaced yet, so I talked the women I bought it from down on the price some because of that. Also make sure you drive it down a bumpy road and listen for any supension or bushings that might be bad. The one I just bought had the Watts link was bad and made a clunking sound when You hit bumps. Also if it has fog lights check them both PT's I've bought were bad thet usually have a bad multifunction switch for around $80 bucks you can fix this in 20 minutes. Other than thank good luck, I'm loving my new Woody already..