Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problem with Code P0481

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2010, 09:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problem with Code P0481

How is everyone, I recently bought my wife a used 2007 PT Cruiser Touring with the 2.4 L non turbo. Recently the check engine light came on and the car started to overheat while idling or going at low speeds. I have searched high and low online to find a solution to this problem. the local part shop tells me its the "Cooling fan relay 2 malfunction or wiring for cooling fan relay 2". I have no idea where this relay is located. I called the local Dodge dealership and they said they aren't for sure what was wrong but for $125.00 an hour they can find out and fix it, (Plus parts of course.) I joined this forum and have seen some of the problems and the solutions some members have be able to get so I'm hoping that possible one of y`all has had this problem and knows how to fix it. Or is a great mechanic and can contact me with a solution that I could do it with.

Thank you for your time.
Charles,
Dallas Texas.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 10:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Problem with Code P0481

From PT Do-It-Yourself.net:

Radiator fan operation is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with inputs from the temperature of the coolant, which is sensed by the coolant temperature sensor, and vehicle speed, which is measured by the vehicle speed sensor. The PCM turns on the fan through either the high or low speed fan relay.

P0481 - High Speed Fan Relay Control Circuit - An open or shorted condition detected in the high speed radiator fan relay control circuit.

Possible causes on the 2005 model year and earlier include:

High Speed Radiator Fan Relay Operation
Fused Ignition Switch Output Circuit
High Speed Radiator Fan Relay Resistance
High Speed Rad Fan Relay Control Circuit Open
High Speed Rad Fan Relay Control Circuit Short To Ground
PCM

Possible causes on the 2006 model year and later include:

Fused (B+) Circuits
Ground Circuit
High Speed Rad Fan Control Circuit Shorted To Battery Voltage
High Speed Rad Fan Control Circuit Open
High Speed Rad Fan Control Circuit Shorted To Ground
Radiator Cooling Fan Module
Totally Integrated Power Module

This is not a DIY repair. Unless you have a DRB III scan tool, multi-meter diagnostic manual and the experience to use all three, see your dealer.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 May 2010, 01:50 pm
Young Cruiser

I had the same code a couple of days ago. I have an 05 non-turbo 69,000 miles and the first thing I did was check the fuse box the is in the enginge compartment. the high speed fuse was loose. I removed the neg cable from battery pushed it down waited 5 min and ttached battery cable and the problem went away
Old 10 Jun 2010, 02:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How is everyone, I have 2006 PT Cruiser Touring with the 2.4 L non turbo. Recently the check engine light came on and the car started to overheat while idling or going at low speeds. I have searched high and low online to find a solution to this problem. the local part shop tells me its the "Cooling fan relay 2 malfunction or wiring for cooling fan relay 2". I have no idea where this relay is located. I called the local Dodge dealership and they said they aren't for sure what was wrong but for $125.00 an hour they can find out and fix it, (Plus parts of course.) I joined this forum and have seen some of the problems and the solutions some members have be able to get so I'm hoping that possible one of y`all has had this problem and knows how to fix it. Or is a great mechanic and can contact me with a solution that I could do it with.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 04:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I take it you have no owners manual for your car. In that booklet is a 3 page guide to fuses and relays. The No#15 fuse/relay is the Radiator Fan Relay Battery Feed. Hopefully under the cover of the fuse box in the engine compartment it will have a listing and diagram of exactly where No#15 is.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 08:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi, my wife has a 2007 pt cruiser and I had to change the rad and now I get code p0481, up till I changed the rad everything was fine. Any ideas as to why I get that code now. Thanks Paul
Old 28 Mar 2014, 09:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Paul,

You said you changed the rad which is short (I think) for radiator. Although it's attached to the fan, it's a different piece of equipment so getting the code for the high speed fan relay control has nothing to do with changing the radiator and you could have a problem with the fan relays but since you had to pull both (rad and fan) to change out the rad, you might have done something to the relays or wiring to cause the code.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 28 Mar 2014 at 09:07 am.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 06:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Crewzin, thank for the reply, it was a broken wire in the plug for the radiator. So thanks again.
Old 03 Nov 2017, 01:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

P0481 code

Is that accessible via ignition switch sequence or do u have to use scan tool?
Old 03 Nov 2017, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Shelby, that P0481 code SHOULD be seen when doing the key dance (ignition switch sequence) , most P codes are.