Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I talked my mom into buying a PT cruiser and now I feel guilty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2010, 07:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default I talked my mom into buying a PT cruiser and now I feel guilty

I took my mom to a car dealer to see cars and get an idea of what her options for a new car were. We saw a 2008 PT cruiser with 30000 miles with a price tag that was within her budget. My mother didn't dislike the car but she wasn't dying to buy it either. She ended up buying the car after I told her of my positive experience driving a rented PT Cruiser last year. It's been 3 weeks since my mom has had that car and it still hasn't given her problems, but there are a few things about that car that really bother me:

1. The spare tire. I can't see how that tire can be removed without professional assistance. The car didn't even come with a tool that can be used to unbolt the nut that, according on what I have read online, is somehow supposed to "lower" the tire.

2. The car is not quiet. Her previous car, which was 10 years old and within the same price range, was quieter: you couldn't even hear the engine.

3. The PT Cruiser does not seem to have a great reputation, at least judging by the reviews I have read online. If you like your PT Cruiser, I respect that, but I'm just telling you about what I have read online.

There are a few other things about that car that don't really worry me as much as they annoy me, but since I won't be driving that car I don't really care. To be honest, I feel guilty for letting my mother buy that car. I could have talked her out of buying it at any moment but I didn't. If someone wants to console me please start by explaining the whole deal about the spare tire. Can it even be removed without professional assistance?

Last edited by PTR3mrs; 25 Apr 2010 at 07:39 pm.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 07:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: I talked my mom into buying a PT cruiser and now I feel guilty

If it is noisey why did you let her buy it?????You should have kept on looking.

Did you even look at new ones?? You can get them for about 14999 new off of SRP of 18999.

Per the spare, open the hatch, on the right is a little cubby hole with the tool kit, also there is a small access cover on the trim down on the floor next to the cubby hole. pop it off and use the lug wrench will fit over the hex screw, turn it closk wise and it will lower the basket which holds the spare.

If mom can use a jack she can lower the spare, if mom cant use a jack, call AAA of something and it wont matter.

PS all this is covered in the owners manual.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 07:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

The spare tire can be removed without professional help. The nut that holds the tire in place is the same size as the lug nuts, so if it came with the jack in the little plastic pouch and there was a lug wrench in the pouch, it has everything needed to remove and change a tire.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 07:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

The compact spare tire is stowed under the rear of the vehicle by means of a hook/basket mechanism. To remove or stow the spare, use the jack handle to rotate the “spare tire drive” nut, located under the rear scuff plate at the right rear of the cargo area, just inside the lift gate opening. Lift up the cover and fit the jack handle over the drive nut. Rotate the nut to the left until you can remove the swivel hook from the storage basket. Swing the basket down to remove the compact tire.

ptdoityourself.net PTDIY.net - PT Cruiser Technical Library Part Sixty Four Q&A 1576 - 1600

As far as reliability, if you take care of it, it's a good vehicle. It's roomy and extremely comfortable. And it has a cult following to walk you through all these issues. As far as problems this ride has very few major problems but it does have a few minor ones. The engine is noisy but it's a proven engine and easy to get parts for if needed.

Tell your mom to join the forum and we will make her welcome and she will be part of the PT family.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 25 Apr 2010, 07:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNT View Post
If it is noisey why did you let her buy it?????You should have kept on looking.
It didn't sound noisy when I test drove it. It's not noisy like the engine is gonna explode any moment, but you can actually hear the engine when you are inside and outside the car.

Quote:
Did you even look at new ones?? You can get them for about 14999 new off of SRP of 18999.
Not within her budget.

Quote:
Per the spare, open the hatch, on the right is a little cubby hole with the tool kit,
The only tool in there is the thing used to lift the car when you change a tire.

Quote:
also there is a small access cover on the trim down on the floor next to the cubby hole. pop it off and use the lug wrench will fit over the hex screw, turn it closk wise and it will lower the basket which holds the spare.
The car doesn't come with a lug wrench, and if it does, I don't see it. It's not in the "cubby hole". I thought cars were supposed to come with those things.

Quote:
If mom can use a jack she can lower the spare, if mom cant use a jack, call AAA of something and it wont matter.

PS all this is covered in the owners manual.
My mom wouldn't change a tire. I would attempt to do it, if only I had the tools necessary to do it...

Last edited by PTR3mrs; 25 Apr 2010 at 08:01 pm.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 08:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

The dealer would most likely give her the lug wrench and whatever else it's suppose to come with, if they don't I can't imagine they cost very much to buy.

Your a good son/daughter to worry about your mom, the PT is also a very safe car, the best thing you can do is make sure she has AAA or something as good and a good cell phone and service. And than just make sure she maintains the PT and it will give her years of great service.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 25 Apr 2010, 08:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

When you buy a used car there is a degree of responsibility on your part to check the car out, look for things such as tools, manuals, reliability and maintenance issues. You can even ask to take the car for a extended test drive. You say she has had it for 3 weeks - take it back in and see if they will deal with her for a different car - no use having a car you aren't happy with - but maybe have someone else look at the car for her.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 08:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTR3mrs View Post
The only tool in there is the thing used to lift the car when you change a tire.

The car doesn't come with a lug wrench, and if it does, I don't see it. It's not in the "cubby hole". I thought cars were supposed to come with those things.

My mom wouldn't change a tire. I would attempt to do it, if only I had the tools necessary to do it...
The "thing used to lift the car" is called a jack. The Jack should be in a black pouch, and in the pouch is a lug wrench that folds and should be right next to the jack in the pouch. The lug wrench turns the screw on the jack, so if you really don't have a lug wrench, then the jack is useless....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Apr 2010, 08:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

PTR3mrs, first welcome to the Forum.

Rereading you OP, I believe you have what is known as "Buyers Remorse".

You are looking to find what is wrong with the PT instead of what is right with it. The PT is a VERY strong car because I have seen pictures of them being in an accident, people have walked away!!!

There are many of PT owners who would be repeat owners, as my self who is on our 3rd PT and thoroughly enjoy them.

Both you and your mom should join this Forum and the more you know about your PT the more you will be able to enjoy it.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 27 Apr 2010, 08:57 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
The PT is a VERY strong car because I have seen pictures of them being in an accident, people have walked away!!!

There are many of PT owners who would be repeat owners
I fall into both of those categories. We're on our second PT after the first one was totaled when an 18 wheeler backed into it.

Any used car, even a newer one, is going to have some minor issues. I'm still adjusting to the quirks of the one I have now and keep comparing it to the one that was wrecked.

Overall except for the MPG, I think the PT is great car that can be a lot of fun.