Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I may have been taken for a ride!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2010, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs down I may have been taken for a ride!

Howdy all

I got one of those freeway flats about a month ago, piece of padlock bouncing around in my tire. I went to a nearby Tiresplus to buy some new tires(front) to replace them as a pair and the mechanic replacing the tires tells me that the actual mounting base was rusted to the point of being unsafe and he couldn't put them back on. So he sold me some new wheels, the ugly steel cheap black ones, tried to sell me up on four new wheels.

I went to a discount tire and asked if this happens often and he tells me that the stock cruiser wheel has problems with beading where the tire meets up with the wheel. FYI for you there but in most cases the wheels will outlast the car. Had them do a 20 dollar clean up on my back wheels and they were completely fine!

I didn't keep the wheels because they offered to recycle them!

Thoughts? Outrage? Advice?

Thanks
-Justin
Old 28 Apr 2010, 04:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I may have been taken for a ride!

Unless they were chrome wheels they could have been buffed out and the tires mounted. Even the chrome wheels have been buffed and sealed. The chrome on the earlier wheels started flaking off and allowed the air to seep out.
I think you were taken!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 28 Apr 2010, 04:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Most tire places are slimy! No doubt.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 28 Apr 2010, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well alright, wanted to get an opinion from the community here. I'll write a letter to tiresplus complaining and demand something awesome in return for this scam of scams.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 08:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Unless they were chrome wheels they could have been buffed out and the tires mounted. Even the chrome wheels have been buffed and sealed. The chrome on the earlier wheels started flaking off and allowed the air to seep out.
I think you were taken!!!
I agree with Hooligan you think they could have been cleaned up enough. I had the 5 spoke chrome wheels on my 01 LE I use to have, they had the chrome starting to peel in various places mostly around the lugnuts but also started by the outside rim.. I really like the 6 spoke chrome on plastic covered rims on the 02 LE I now own. You don't have to worry about it metal under the chrome rusting and peeling off.

Last edited by twress; 29 Apr 2010 at 08:52 pm.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 10:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I actually went and had a discount tire clean them up. He just buffed it out, a 20 second job. These are the rear wheels of course, but if the rear wheels are good to go then there is no way the front ones were rusted to the point of being unsafe. I even asked the guy who cleaned them up right after he did it if he thought the front tires would have been unsafe with the condition of the rear ones.

I'll write up a letter and follow-up on the results!
Old 02 May 2010, 10:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I agree... you could have had them cleaned up... I've had 3 of mine done because of not holding air.