PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dream Cruisers

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 May 2010, 12:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Dream Cruisers

Hello all, I am new to this forum and I'm just trying to get some info on Dream Cruisers. I'm really looking to buy a 1st or 2nd series (2002-2003) Dream Cruiser, but can't really seem to find any. Does anyone have any ideas where to look? It would also help if anyone knows how many were made so I have an idea how likely it is I'm going to find one. Any tips or advice would be helpful! Thanks in advance to any replies!
Old 05 May 2010, 06:16 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Dream Cruisers

Not sure where to tell you to look. Try searching CarMax, AutoTrader, Ebay or maybe Craigslist. Go for the 2003 Series 2 DreamCruiser. It was the first to offer the Turbo.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 05 May 2010, 08:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Both the series 1 and series 2 were limited to 7,500 in the US - and I think even fewer were made/sold.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 May 2010, 08:29 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Dream Cruisers

Hey their KayV375,

First off, welcome to the Forum.

Of the first two Series Dream Cruisers, the one that is more sought after is the Dream Cruiser Series 2, also known as the Tangerine Dream after its Tangerine Metallic Pearl Paint, and color matching Interior, and assorted accents.

I actually have a Dream Cruiser Series 2 with Serial Number 0377 which I have gone ahead and customized into a show car. Here is a few quick photo's of it.

I have also been working on tracking down as many Dream Cruiser Series 2's as I can, and have done a good deal of research on them as well. Here is an article I did a while back on them which gives some good information for you.

Original Production of the Dream Cruiser Series 2 was slated at 7500 Units worldwide including all foreign and oversea Markets. however Production fell way short of its mark due to a widespread fear that the new and bold Custom Tangerine Orange Paint and Interior Color Theme would be a turn off in the eye of Consumers, and would translate in poor sales so Orders for this Series Dream Cruiser initially were one of the poorest in Chrysler History.

It is rumored by a reliable source inside Chrysler's Toluca Plant that because of the poor initial Sales, overall Production of the Dream Cruiser Series 2 was cut to just 1832 Units total Worldwide. It is unknown how many are equipped with the 5 speed Manual Stick, or Auto Stick Transmission, but otherwise all Dream Cruisers were outfitted exactly the same.

One of the more interesting things done on the Dream Cruiser Series 2 that were not done on several other Dream Cruiser Series PT's were the use of specific Dream Cruiser Serial Number Plates located on the Power Window Switch Plate located on the Center Bezal in the middle of the dash. The Serial Numbers stirred up some controversy early on as with the stated Production Number of Units having been totaled at 1832 Vehicles produced but Serial Numbers reaching as high as 2700 and higher.

It was then uncovered that Chrysler's Toluca Plant where all PT Cruisers were built had not placed the Serial Numbers in sequence but rather placed the Numbers randomly from a box during assembly which added to the confusion over exactly how many Units were actually produced.

The first 40 Units produced were not released for sale, but rather used for crash testing, inhouse testing, and promotional use only.

I do know during my still ongoing search for Dream Cruiser Series 2's out their in the world, I have found 247 of them so far, many of which I do not have a Serial Number to add to the known list which were mostly located at Dealerships, or Private Auctions. Here are a few fun facts about the Dream Cruiser 2.

Autosticks are more common over the 5 Speed Manual Trans.

The Dream Cruiser Series 2 was apparently the first PT to dawn the High Output Turbo power plant as well as the 17" Chrome GT Wheels with Tangerine matching Center Caps.

As a result of the use of the High Output Turbo Engine, the lower front Valance on this specific Model is slightly wider to accommodate a larger Inter-cooler, making it more difficult to fing aftermarket body parts that fit the specific size requirements of the Dream Cruiser 2.

The Dream Cruisers Tangerine Color was custom mixed and produced by Dupont specially for this Series. The Paint Code was locked by Chrysler so you could not reproduce this color without authorization, and the paint had to be purchased directly from Chrysler with no acceptations at a cost of approximately $800.00 per gallon until the color was finally re-released for a short time in 2007.

In my personal searching, I have found 5 Dream Cruisers that have been totaled and are no longer road worthy, and 12 Dream Cruiser that have been customized to show vehicles including mine.

And here is a list of all of the Dream Cruiser Series 2's I have found so far.

Here is a list of 2003 PT Dream Cruiser Series 2's that I have found on the net. All of these were found either at dealers, or websites from all over the United States. All of the PT's listed here are listed be the Dream Cruiser Serial Number, and last known location. If anyone knows the owner of any of these PT's, and can retrieve more information, please let us know so we can get as much data as possible into our registry. Also, if by chance you run across a Dream Cruiser Series 2 that has a number that is not listed below, please let us know so we can enter it as well! Our goal is to try to find as many Dream Cruiser Series 2's as possible. Thank you!

#0022 Bakersfield, California
#0023 League City Texas
#0037 Key Largo, Florida
#0045 Santa Cruz, California First known Automatic
#0068 Kentucky First known 5 speed
#0096 Michigan
#1059 Charlotte North Carolina
#0900 Oregon
#0110 Speedway Nebraska
#0373 Atlanta Georgia
#0440 Wisconsin
#0543 Fontana California
#0662 Bucks County Pennsylvania
#0696 Acworth Georgia
#0770 Wisconsin
#0885 South Dakota
#0889 Irvine, California
#0900 Oregon 5 Speed
#0960 Lake Gaston North Carolina
#0974 Oklahoma City Oklahoma
#1059 Charlotte, North Carolina
#1263 Pensacola Florida
#1478 Bethalto Illinois
#1546 Prattville Alabama
#1582 Detroit Michigan
#1729 St. Luis Missouri Wrecked
#2068 Kentucky 5 speed
#2115 Honolulu Hawaii
#2311 Irving Texas
#2367 Mexico City Mexico
#2485 Canada
#2600 Pennsylvania
#2704 New York City New York

I am always on the hunt for more Dream Cruisers to add to my Dream Cruiser Registry over on my Forum, so if you run across any more and would like to post them, please follow the Link below and scroll down to my Dream Cruiser Registry about half way down the page and add it. Here is the Link.

West Valley Cruisers - Home

As for rarity, since most Dream Cruisers were limited in production, they are more tricky to find here and their, but you can find them if you are diligent in your search. If you do find some I usually will do a bit of research by getting the VIN number which should always be available especially in online ads, put the VIN in a Google Search and check out each listing it pops up in. I then look for dates from the ads, and write them all down to try to see how long the car has been for sale, if it has been for sale multiple times within a short time span, and so forth in addition to getting a Carfax. The Carfax will tell you some Vehicle History, and if the Vehicle has been sitting for a long time it may indicate their is something wrong with it, or it may need a closer look to make sure everything is alright on it. Past that if all looks good, I would get a Certified Mechanic to check it out which may cost a minimal fee but is by far worth it on an older car to make sure it is good to go and not someone Else's problem vehicle they traded off. If its got somewhere in the neighborhood of 80,000 - 100,000 miles or more be sure to check and see if it has had its Timing Belt, and Water Pump replaced as it should be due around this mileage, and is an expensive item to fix. Also approximately every 35,000 mile mark the Transmission Fluid should have been changed. The Transmission is known to be a sensitive area on the PT and should also be checked to make sure it is okay. Other than that, if all checks out as mentioned above, you should be good to go.

I wish you the very best of luck on your search and please let me know if you find a cool Dream Cruiser of your own. Go easy, and I will catch ya later.

Candyman
Vlefaive likes this.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 05 May 2010, 02:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

A word of warning. At one time there where many Series 1 PTs listed on cars.com. Most where not Dreamers.
Old 05 May 2010, 04:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all your responses! I have tried all the sites listed above, I was just hoping maybe there was a site specific to dream cruisers or something. I have found a couple of fake sights claiming all the ones on there are dream cruisers. I also have found one dream cruiser series 1 for sale, but haven't heard back from the seller which tells me that isn't a good sign. I'd honestly prefer a series 2 anyways. Well if anyone happens to see one for sale anywhere let me know!

@ Candyman I did see your pictures online somewhere else too. Your car is very nice and I'm very Jealous! lol

Katie

*UPDATE* Shortly after posting this reply I found a series 2 on craigslist for sale. Though of course right now the asking price is a little out of my budget! But I wanted to let you guys know I atleast found one. THX

Last edited by KayV375; 05 May 2010 at 05:18 pm.
Old 06 May 2010, 05:39 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman

Hey their KayV375,

I thank you, and will keep an eye out for a Dream Cruiser 2 for you as well. They pop up pretty regular so as soon as I see one, I will post it here for ya.

Go easy, and I will catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 02 Sep 2010, 05:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Dream Cruisers

Hi KayV375! Have you found a cruiser yet? If not, I have an 03 Series 2 #864 available. Interested? If so, e-mail me at dicko66@earthlink.net and I will send you the info and some photos! X3
Old 22 Sep 2010, 10:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hello All, I read Katie's post and thought I would respond. I have a 2004 PT Dream Cruiser Series 3 for sale that only has 18,700 miles on it!!! It is in perfect condition, fully loaded and was only driven by 1 elderly lady driver. I have read that fewer than 2,000 were manufactured so they are difficult to find. This one has the 2.4L Turbo/High Output too! Let me know if anyone is looking for this awesome vehicle! I live in the Atlanta area. Thanks, crimsonrtr@gmail.com
Old 09 Jun 2011, 01:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

WOW! After reading this I feel like I just won the lottery! We traded in our Toyota Tundra and got a Tangerine Dream that had come in that morning on a trade in. We also got the dealership to give us $600 cash back, put new tires on it (those expensive ones), replace the rack cuz it had a problem and fill it up! Ours says that Series 2 Car number 1360. I live in St. George Utah if that helps your list at all. It has 97,000 miles on it.