Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
screaming demon coil go or no go?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2010, 12:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default screaming demon coil go or no go?

I have a 2003 non turbo pt cruiser with a airaid cold air system and a helix power tower already installed im interested in putting in a screaming demon coil but i dont know what to expect out of it and i dont want to hurt reliability of the vehicle ether. Does anybody have this installed was it worth it and how hard is the install for that?
Old 21 May 2010, 06:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: screaming demon coil go or no go?

Your Helix Power Tower (TB Spacer) was a complete waist of money and so will the Demon coil. The stock coil is enough for the cruiser and even the owners that are running more HP out of the PT that you ever dream of are using the stock coil.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 May 2010, 08:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Your Helix Power Tower (TB Spacer) was a complete waist of money and so will the Demon coil. The stock coil is enough for the cruiser and even the owners that are running more HP out of the PT that you ever dream of are using the stock coil.
Well thank you i appreciate your input on the coil i just didnt know alot about those but for the spacer from what i noticed it did help a pretty decent amount. I do like both things iv added so far but im also trying to increase my gas mileage any ideas? This is my delivery car so every mpg i can get helps greatly!
Old 21 May 2010, 08:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Synthetic oil, a couple more pounds of air than recommended on the driver door, back seats out to loose weight and a light foot on the accelerator.

You actually noticed something when you put on the TB spacer and please tell us more about the fuel maxx chip.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 May 2010, 08:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

lol ok well iv got a kid coming lol so the backseats will have to stay lol but I think ill probly do the oil. What type of exhaust would be recommended i want it to sound good but not like an import.
Old 21 May 2010, 08:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, exhaust is kind of relative. One mans music is another mans noise. I put on a DynoMax #17732 and added a chrome tip. That was before I got a great deal on dual exhaust. Dual exhaust does nothing but it looks good. If there's any kind of PT group/club in your area the best thing to do is find a PT that sounds good to you and ask what he's running.

Old 21 May 2010, 11:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I've been on PT Forums since 2001, and I've read of more screamin' Demon coils failing than stock coils. Replace your stock ignition wires with some other brand, get new pulgs and gap them at 0.040, and follow what Crewzin said.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 May 2010, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome, what kind of mileage have you been getting? If you expect more than 17-19 mpg city you probably are at the maximum now. Throwing parts at it without checking is a waste of your $$$$$'s.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 29 May 2010, 02:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I've had the screamin demon coil installed for 3 yrs with new low resistance plug wires that I bought from performance distributors.
It is the best thing I ever did!
I have a 2001 PT and mileage before was 22/26.
It immediately jumped to 25/30 after the install. I am also using champion double platinum plugs now (7440, since replaced with 7570).
I highly reocmmend you go for the change out.

Only 4 bolts holding the coil in and the wire harness. It is a direct replacement so no problem to get in. Also you can gap the plugs at .060 - 065. I used .062. THis gap change is what account for the mileagae increase.

I am now in the process of installing the Mini VIP( also from performance distributors) to increase the voltage to the coil from 12V to 18V. No data on this but this install will be more challenging as you have to do wire cutting and mounting of the unit.
Old 30 May 2010, 01:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanx for the feedback on the coil. I know many of these 'theories' don't bear out in results but for the sake of argument:

A stronger spark should ignite better. (And michaeldangelo's results bear this out.)

As for throttle body spacers, I think I was on Jegs site and they have one for more HP at higher rpm's and one for better low to mid range torque.

I would think improving the 'air tumble' for better low to mid range torque could help PT mileage because freeway speeds are between 2500 (55) and 3500 (65). The stats show peak torque at 4k and peak HP at 5100, but who cruises at peak rpm's?

And my Mustang's 4.6 V8 has the CMCV* butterflies to create 'air tumble' to increase low to mid range torque. Some of the guys will remove them with the 'Deletes' to increase max HP but they have to get a custom tune to counter the loss in low end torque (and A/F ratio). But the PT doesn't utilize custom tunes from SCT's, etc.

So I would think a stronger spark with better breathing from a TRUE COLD Air Intake, mixed with a better venturi or an air tumbler, should increase engine efficiency & therefore better fuel mileage.

(*CMCV=Charge Motion Control Valves)

2010 Classic in Deepwater Blue w/Grey Interior
2008 Bullitt Mustang #901

Tags
coil, performance, screaming demon