PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Really fed up with my '01 Cruiser

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2010, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Really fed up with my '01 Cruiser

So late last year I purchased a used '01 PT Cruiser Limited Edition, fully loaded with only 88,000 miles on it. It was pretty awesome for two weeks. Drove 1,000 miles then the alternator went out. Luckily I had a extended warranty and I only had to pay a 100 fee to have them replace it.

At that service appointment the mechanic told me that the transmission was leaking internally and the hose to it had rotted out so they replaced it.

Last month I found that there were 3 factory recalls on the car and in order to get it fixed I had to leave the car there overnight for three days.

Sadly I go to school full time and work two jobs that I'm not going to be able to get to now:

Today I start the cruiser and realize the Odometer is not working. I get on the highway and the cruiser starts to rev really hard. RPM is at 6 and people are honking at me on the highway I'm going like 30-45mph.

What is going on? I don't think my transmission is out but something is obviously up. My dealer is already closed for the day and I think my warranty just went out last month. If it is something majority expensive, I'm sad to say that the old cruiser will have to go to the junk yard.

Any ideas?
Old 02 Jun 2010, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Really fed up with my '01 Cruiser

Tranny just went, it happened to me with the 2002 a few years ago. I did have extended warranty and for $100 they rebuilt it.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 02 Jun 2010, 08:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Any codes? Do the on off on off on and look at your odometer. If no codes will flash done.

Could be something simple like the speed sensor??

Going to junk your car over a repair?? Not very mature. I hope your not another troll who wants to act like a 2 year old when their toy breaks and come on here to bash PT's.

Here do a little reading in the trans section 41TE pg 274, input speed sensor, 276 output speed sensor.

http://webdev1.net/hosted/documents/...shopmanual.pdf

Codes

Error Codes

Good luck, let us know if you have a code

BTW, assume you have an auto and have serviced the filter and fluid.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 02 Jun 2010, 08:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wow, tranny is leaking internally, you ignore the three factory recalls and you continue to drive it? Your priorities are skewed. If the tranny went (gee I wonder why), the rest of the car is in great shape and you want to send it to the junk yard? Now I really question your intelligence. It would be cheaper to replace/fix the tranny than it would to junk the car and buy another one.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 02 Jun 2010, 08:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You purchased a 9 year old car with almost 100,000 miles. If the previous owner(s) didn't bother to take it in for the recalls (which were in the early years of the PT) what else wouldn't they have done for maintenance? Certainly they wouldn't have spent the money for a transaxle flush. I agree with others about being cheaper to fix than junk but unfortunately it looks like you'll be putting a bunch of money out in the next year.
Old 03 Jun 2010, 02:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hell, if you're just going to scrap it... can I have it? LOL
Old 03 Jun 2010, 04:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Sounds like the trans went into limp mode (2nd gear) and you are revving it at 6 grand....
Old 03 Jun 2010, 07:47 am
Senior Cruiser

Jekka

Don't take it personal these guys sometimes are like junk yard dogs if you unjustly attack the PT.

It's simple the reason your transmission went was because of lack of maintenance and not doing the recalls. And your alternator was old and they break sometimes. So don't blame the PT.

And believe me I can understand your situation I've driven cars out of need or being broke when they were in desperate need of repair to the point of being dangerous, so I know sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, school and work are important.

Welcome to the forum this is a great place and it's full of knowledgeable nice people, even our junk yard attack dogs are OK as long as you don't attack the PT without just cause.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03 Jun 2010, 08:22 am
Senior Cruiser

No offense but that is why it is always a good idea prior to purchasing a used car of any make, to bring it to a mechanic and have them check it. It is money well spent, also if you brought it to a Chrysler dealer they could punch in the Vin and give you a history report on all work done under warranty and any thing else in the system.

You may have discovered some things that would give you pause before the purchase.

But that is water over the damn, sorry to hear about your situation.

Get it looked at and hope it isnt something too expensive. My advice once you get this corrected is to assume the former owner neglected it and to start changing fluids and hang on the forum and get a manual and start reading so you can do some maintenance yourself and save some coin.

THe PT's are good cars, but you will find they have some issues like any other car and if neglected will become problematic. Some people on these lists have 200K miles and no major issues.

My 03GT has 100K miles. It runs great, but I have stayed ahead of the maintenance curve. I had the timing belt, WP, tensioner, cam/crank seals repalced at 80K as a precaution. As we speak I just repalced all the rotors, pads, e-brake shoes/hardware. and I am installing a set of Tokico blue struts and shocks with all new moog strut bearings/mounts. Also intend to do all the hoses. When done will be good to go for another 4 or so years before I get into another round of major maintenance.

Let us know how you make out, the people on here are very helpful.

Note we have recently had a few trolls come on to bash the PT and that is why we sometimes question things, dont take it personal.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2

Last edited by CREWZIN; 03 Jun 2010 at 04:56 pm.
Closed Thread