Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Are you the original owner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2010, 02:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Are you the original owner?

Just kinda curious how many bought their PTs new.

If you're the original owner, do you follow the recommended maintenance schedule? How does it work for you?

I'm the original owner of my 2010. It only has 3500 miles on it so far, so the only maintenance is an oil change, but I plan to follow the schedule, especially for warranty purposes!
Old 07 Jun 2010, 02:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Are you the original owner?

2008, bought new, use synthetic oil and change about every 5000 miles and rotate tires at the same time.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 07 Jun 2010, 02:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

2001 Original Owner, bought in September 2000. Member of the Original Owners Group.

Used to change oil & filter every 3K but now I leave it till 5K.
Old 07 Jun 2010, 03:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

2001 original owner as well. I bought mine October of 2000. I follow the maintenance schedule and I have had zero problems. I have used full synthetic since it was new as well.
Whipple Supercharger, BTG springs, Tokico shocks/struts, B&M short shifter, chrome GT 17" wheels, darkened tail lights, Chrome Grille, fuel door and vent knobs, painted bumpers, mirrors, airdam and center console, cueball shifter, Polk audio system w/ XM, Magnaflow muffler
Old 07 Jun 2010, 06:44 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Are you the original owner?

Hey Guys,

Original Owner. Bought November 27, 2003 straight off the showroom floor with 27 miles on her. Still have all the original documentation, bill of sale, window sticker, then sent for the factory build sheet, and so on, which is all in a special album.

Up until it was retired to permanent show car, the oil was changed out every 1500 miles with Mobile 1 which I know is overkill, but was an attempt to keep wear on the motor to an absolute minimum. Trans fluid was changed every 15,000 miles though the trans was found to be defective right under 33,000 miles and was replaced under warranty.

Wheel bearings, all suspension bushings, and so on were replaced and upgraded when my custom prototype 3/5 drop springs were first put on in January 2004 to handle the extra abuse from having that low of a drop, that less suspension travel, and the change in suspension geometry.

In December 2005 in an attempt to quiet down the slight tapping noise which is common with this engine, we removed and replaced the valves, and added some new custom ground pucks which were rounded on the heads as advised from a good friend and one of a small handful of certified top Viper Techs in the US. After the engine was done, I took it to the Viper Tech who came up with a trick to bypass the speed limiter using a second limiter controller wired in conjunction to trick the computer. To this day I have no idea how it works, or why it works, but the Limiter is bypassed so it is capable of running wide open.

Other than that, my ride has had a strict detailing schedule since new including glaze, synthetic sealant, and new coat of white carnuba wax every 30 days since leaving the showroom floor. The leather seats have been cleaned and treated with natural oils to keep the Hyde soft, and the carpet has been commercially scotch guarded protected, and taken care of to perfection since new as well. Once the car was retired, my ride was disassembled and detailed from top to bottom including the undercarriage, and all related components to as near showroom condition as possible, and is now maintained as such for show use.

Other than that, the car now has 53,240 miles on it, I have never had a problem with it, and love the car big time! I plan to keep evolving it till I am totally satisfied with the end result, and eventually give it to my son.

Anyways, that's my ride in a nutshell.

Go easy, and I'll catch ya later.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 07 Jun 2010, 10:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

2nd owner and so far I have changed plugs, wires, switched to synthetic oil, flushed transmission changed filter, flushed radiator. All this since February because I wanted to make sure the PT was up to date on maintenance. I also installed Airaid cold air intake just because.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 07 Jun 2010, 10:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

2nd owner after a little old lady school teacherits true....Its well documented all the money and repairs I have put into it lately and thats not including the wax and detailing products
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 08 Jun 2010, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I own a 2001 Pt Cruiser, great car until New England winter caught up with it and rusted out the front axle, struts, and brakes. The generator and radiator fan gave out plus the car will not start. Otherwise I am a happy camper !
Old 08 Jun 2010, 02:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

2nd owner on both cars.

I use the FSM and probably change things sooner than recommended. Fluids are cheap verus ignoring things.

For discussion what do people change and when? Change oil/filter 3 times a year with synthetic, works out to about every 5K miles

Yearly I change Air filter, freshen up brake and power steering fluid via turkey baster. Have the 5 spd getrag so I drain and refill that yearly. Grease the ball joints a couple times a year.

Every other year drain and refill coolant, plugs and wires and PCV, remove and clean the Throttle Boddy and do a full bleed on the brakes.
I swap tires/rims between winter and summer so no need to rotate, do it every other season I guess.

Repairs of other stuff do as needed, with timing belt/WP/tensioner/cam/crank seals before 80K just in case

Oh I guess I do a full detail of the paint once a year and anothe wax or two in between.

At 100K on 03.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 08 Jun 2010, 03:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I did my first oil change at 1000 miles, and will be doing them in 3k mile increments, so I'm about to do my second one. I'll use strictly Mobil 1 forever in the car. Some people on here say Mobil 1 every 3k miles is wasteful, but I disagree.

I had a '99 Volvo and changed the oil every 3k miles with Mobil 1 for its entire life. One day I made a mistake replacing the timing belt and bent a couple valves. I removed the head to replace the valves, and was quite surprised at what I saw. All 5 cylinders were still very clearly cross hatched! The engine had 165k miles at this point. There was literally no wear inside the engine! That's why I swear by Mobil 1. After that, I'll never use anything else! It still runs like new, but my sister-in-law drives it as her first car. It has close to 200k miles.

Regarding everything else, I simply do an inspection every oil change. I'll inspect the tranny fluid each time and replace it when it's no longer bright red. I won't wait for it to turn dark. I use test strips to check the condition of the brake fluid in each of my vehicles. Tires will get rotated every other oil change.