PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 PT Cruiser GT is getting a P0340 error.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jun 2010, 04:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 PT Cruiser GT is getting a P0340 error.

Well, My mother just bought a used PT Cruiser 2005 GT, And it has been working for a few days without trouble, But just this morning my mother said she got a check engine light. The car still works fine, Just like the day we got it, So we did the error code test, and we got P0340, Which apparently means something is up with the camshaft sensor. We noticed there was some corrosion on the negative end of the battery, So we cleaned it up and reset it, But it still gives us the error. I have no idea what's up, So before we take it to a garage or something, Can anyone help us out? I don't know that much about cars in general, So I'm sorry if I don't get what you're trying to say :P

It has 88,000 miles on it

Thank you

EDIT: Forgot to ask, Is it anything serious? I mean, The car still works good, But will it mess up in time?
Old 20 Jun 2010, 05:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 PT Cruiser GT is getting a P0340 error.

Your getting very close to the 100,000 mile mark. An expensive maintenance will be due to include the timing belt, water pump and probably the drive belts. This maintenance usually runs around $1000 including parts and labor.

I say that because there's just a chance that the timing belt could be stretched a little bit and one of the signs would be the P0340 Camshaft error meaning the signal from the sensor to the computer is interrupted for some reason. It could also mean it's just the sensor and nothing to do with the timing belt.

When you cleaned the battery, did you take the cable off for about 5 minutes? That should clear the code, but if there is something wrong with the sensor, it will come right back on or is that what you did when you "reset" it?

If the PT is still running good, you can either change the sensor (about $45) or wait till it goes out altogether. I'd change it now. It's easy to do if you've done any kind of work yourself.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.