PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Limited 198,740 Miles - WIERD Overheat...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2010, 03:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Limited 198,740 Miles - WIERD Overheat...

OK,

This has me puzzled... reading everyone's overheating posts has me even more puzzled. About 6 months ago, I had the Timing belt changed... He also changed the thermostat while he was down there (Legit Mechanic).

My car has attempted to overheat 2 times now but I saved it from doing so, by taking off like a bat out of h**l down the interstate to get some air flowing with the heat cranked all the way. It cools right down.

When it does this it will hold about an extra 8oz of coolant, and It won't try to overheat for another month or so. I dunno if it's taking the cap off and putting it back on, or what keeps it from overheating right over again.

If your just sitting there, you can hear the fan running, if you get out the car and listen for it. However sitting / crawling around town is when It attempts to over heat. Both times was after long 1+hour drives down the interstate which ended in slow city driving at the end. The gauge climbs, so I crank the heat and take off to get air moving and it cools right down. You can also hear the coolant starting to boil when this happens. It has never got more than 1/4 over the middle mark where it normally sits.

What do you think my issue could be... I read the cap maybe?
Old 21 Jun 2010, 03:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Limited 198,740 Miles - WIERD Overheat...

Sounds like a bad water pump..

Last edited by Ratdaddy; 21 Jun 2010 at 03:42 pm.
Old 21 Jun 2010, 03:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Could be as Ratdaddy suggested. The water pump should be changed along with the timing belt.

The radiator cap is easily replaced. If you can hear the fan, that should be the high speed as on low it's hardly noticeable. If you can hear bubbling, you might have air trapped in the coolant system. Was if bled of excess air? How about the radiator itself? With that many miles it's past time for a coolant and system flush. Has that ever been done?
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 21 Jun 2010, 05:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'd look at your water pump first. You say that you can add a little coolant each time it does this, so your water pump may be seeping from the weep hole. It may not be pumping enough close to idle speeds.

I'd get a pressure test of your radiator as well, as you may have a blockage restricting the flow of coolant.
Old 21 Jun 2010, 08:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

The biggest reasons older cars over heat is lack of proper maintentance. Have you flushed the coolant and changed it out with the proper type?

A lot of people will just test it to protect from freezing and maybe add a little, but it must be changed out completly every few years and flushed. If not, corrosion will form all throughout the passages and cause over heating. If antifreeze has been added and is not the proper type, chemical reactions will happen and will cause problems as well. I have seen a toyota head that looked like it was dipped in some type of acid in the water jackets because of running 2 different types of antifreeze.

If it hasnt been flushed, take it somewhere that has the machine to power flush the system and re-fill with Zerex G 05 or the Mopar brand. The cheap flush kits dont really back flush that good but can work ok if you do it mutiple times.

I have seen the inside of blocks and heads of different makes that prove this. I have also fixed overheating issues by doing the above.

Also depending on your water, it may be best to only use distiled water as certains minerals can cause the same problems.

Last edited by xwing777; 21 Jun 2010 at 08:11 pm. Reason: typo
Old 21 Jun 2010, 09:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Also just check and make sure both fan speeds are working. Was that the first timing belt change?

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 16 Mar 2011, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default loosing antifreeze

I have a 2003 Pt touring edition. My car was overheating like three weeks ago I changed the thermostat but it did not fix the problem the car kept on overheating. Than I went another mechanic and they said that the lower speed of the fan was not working than i changed the fan. After I changed the fan my car did not overheat but now the fan is working over much. It barely stops. When I'm traveling fast the fan does not go on a lot because the engine is cooled by the wind but when I'm stopping at a red light smoke comes out of the hood. After I opened my hood I saw the the plastic bag where I put the antifreeze was disposing antifreeze. After this I opened the radiator cap but there was a little bit of antifreeze left under the cap. So when that disposed antifreeze contacts with hot engine that makes the smoke. Please help me. did anyone have the same problem? I don't know what to do.
Old 16 Mar 2011, 10:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Plastic bag ??? Do you mean the bottle by the firewall? Where was it deposing the antifreeze? Out the opening at the top of the bottle? That's a sign your coolant is overheating and there's no place else for it to expand other then out the bottle opening. The fan is "running overtime" because of the overheating and yes, the fan doesn't run when your over 35mph. Enough air coming through the front end to keep things cool.

You need to find out what's causing it to over heat and since the fan is new, that can be ruled out along with the thermostat. Is there any kind of leak? Can you have the coolant system pressure tested for any pinhole in the hoses or radiator? Have you been using the correct coolant that Chrysler recommends? Anything else can clog the radiator over time and cause overheating because of the blockage inside the radiator.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 17 Mar 2011, 03:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry I ment the plastic bottle by the firewall. I did not see any leaks under the car. I am bringing it to chrysler dealer today to find out whats wrong with it. By the way The temperature gauge does not go up it always stays on the half line but the fan is working too much. Can the problem be from the head gasket?
Old 17 Mar 2011, 03:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It could. Did you check your oil dipstick to see if there's any signs of oil mixing with coolant, or the radiator itself to see if there's any dis-colorization of the fluid?