Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Finally Have A/C!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jun 2010, 10:00 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Finally Have A/C!

I bought this car in March and the previous owner just had the timing belt/waterpump done and the person who did the job disconnected the a/c lines per the service manual and apparently to save money didn't refill the system.

I've had enought not being able to drive my PT on hot days, so I dug into it today. I had to replace 2 o-rings here

...and replace the valve core on the low side. I did this at about noon today and at 7:30pm the last time I drove it the system was still fully charged and working excellent! Only time will tell if it actually holds the charge.

I'm surprised to drive it and find that having the a/c on doesn't effect driveability like I've seen posted on here. It actually drives better than my turbo Jetta with the a/c on. Total cost = 2 cans of r134a from big lots $10, 1 can of oil charge $5, and an assortedment of refrigerant grade o-rings from O'reileys $5
Old 24 Jun 2010, 09:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Finally Have A/C!

Good fix. I really gave my AC a good test on fathers day it was 93 and I was stuck in traffic bumper to bumper and I was happy she didn't move off her regular spot on the temp gauge.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 24 Jun 2010, 08:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Finally Have A/C!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Good fix. I really gave my AC a good test on fathers day it was 93 and I was stuck in traffic bumper to bumper and I was happy she didn't move off her regular spot on the temp gauge.
I hear that on the high temps outside. It was 90 here while I was fixing it and I let it run for a good 1/2 hour to make sure it wasn't going to overheat. I've seen quite a few posts on hear about the multi speed fan not working correctly and the engine overheating. One time today it went a hair above the half way point and then dropped right back down. It was fine the rest of the day.