Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C Re-Charge price?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2010, 10:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question A/C Re-Charge price?

Took the 2004 PT cruiser in for warm a/c and rough idle at stop. They replaced cooling fan assembly and right front lower engine mount. They said the PT also needed a a/c recharge for $259.Seems pretty high.What do u guys think? I already spent $610 geez. Thanks

2004 PT Base Silver
Old 26 Jun 2010, 10:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C Re-Charge price?

Yes, even if they have to vacuum out the whole system and re-charge it, that seems high, but what can you do except tell them to stop what they're doing and you'll have it done elsewhere or do it your yourself.

The internet is full of estimates of what a shop would charge but nothing near $259.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Jun 2010, 02:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: A/C Re-Charge price?

Is it easy to recharge myself? How much to do it?

2004 PT Base Silver
Old 26 Jun 2010, 03:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's a lot of owners that do re-charge it themselves and it sounds easy to do but I've never done it. I leave it tothe experts. They just don't charge anything like your person does.

If you go on the internet and put in anything like "can i charge the A/C myself" you'll get dozens of hits showing you how.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Jun 2010, 06:55 pm
Young Cruiser

I did mine last wednesday with 2 cans for $5 a can from big lots. Its still holding and blowing 48 degree air. I've been recharging a/c systems myself without evacuating the system on 3 cars for myself and a couple cars for friends over the past couple years and never had a problem. All you need it 2 12oz. cans and a dispensing hose and the ability to use the quick connect on the hose and its simple.

1. Attach hose to can
2. Start car and put a/c on high
3. Connect hose to low side of a/c lines (the only one it will fit) and open the valve
4. Shake can, and when the can feels light, turn it upside down til its empty.
5. Use a pressure gauge to check the pressure (much like a tire pressure gauge). You can buy these at any auto parts store.
6. Repeat with second can if necessary
Old 26 Jun 2010, 07:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj8 View Post
Took the 2004 PT cruiser in for warm a/c and rough idle at stop. They replaced cooling fan assembly and right front lower engine mount. They said the PT also needed a a/c recharge for $259.Seems pretty high.What do u guys think? I already spent $610 geez. Thanks
well I guess it depends on the location, I had my car taken in for an OIL CHANGE, the guy said I needed my AC RECHARGED and he offered to do it for 108. Some people recharge their own AC, 259 is well over 100 dollars too much for most places
Old 26 Jun 2010, 09:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

hello it also depends what is wrong with the ac . if its just low on freon .who can go to like walmart and buy a can and put some in . they seem to lose freon over a peroid of time . but if you have a big leak it can be expensive . it depends what the problem is . it is also good to run it in winter for a while . most people dont use it in winter .one good way to tell if its just low . you should see the ac clutch still turn and ac dont feel cold just cool means its low . but if ac is too low ac clutch wont turn . to save your ac compresser. than i would have it checked out .the reason its expensive is because the ac equipment is very expensive . hope this helps