PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Used Fleet Vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2010, 09:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Used Fleet Vehicles

Hey all!
All the used PT's I'm seeing are former fleet vehicles. If you look at the Carfax report it doesn't say whether it was from a rental car fleet or an executive lease vehicle. I wouldn't mind something from an executive fleet, but getting a used rental car scars me.
Any thoughts?
Old 28 Jun 2010, 03:43 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Used Fleet Vehicles

I wouldn't worry about a used rental car either...they get all the maintenance and most of the people who rent cars are business people and they don't abuse them...and the people who do aren't going to rent a pt cruiser.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 08:09 am
Young Cruiser

I agree with azphotog. Mine was a fleet car and at the time, I wanted to avoid a fleet vehicle, but it only had 1800 miles on it. I would not hesitate to buy a fleet vehicle again if it had the features I wanted, had low mileage, and the price was right. The first PT Cruiser I ever drove was a rental that had just under 30,000 miles on the odometer and it felt like a new car. There were no stains on the seats or carpet and nothing to indicate that it had been abused. I know there are mixed feelings of fleet vehicles out there, but I have enjoyed my "rescued" PT.

2012 Dodge Charger
2006 Nissan Xterra

Former: 1986 Dodge Daytona, 1988 Jeep Cherokee, 1997 Pontiac Sunfire, 2002 Jeep Wrangler, 1995 Ford Taurus Wagon, 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Old 28 Jun 2010, 08:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks - that's good to know. The PT I drove looked spotless, but the sales guy was trying to sell it so hard he scared me off. "What can I do to get you in this car today? Muhahahahahahaha!
Old 28 Jun 2010, 09:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinleyBrown View Post
Thanks - that's good to know. The PT I drove looked spotless, but the sales guy was trying to sell it so hard he scared me off. "What can I do to get you in this car today? Muhahahahahahaha!
It's not easy these days to sell a Chrysler especially the PT because of it's less than amazing MPG. Us die hard fans aren't as many as years ago.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 28 Jun 2010, 10:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
It's not easy these days to sell a Chrysler especially the PT because of it's less than amazing MPG. Us die hard fans aren't as many as years ago.
But were still out here!!!!! lol
Old 28 Jun 2010, 11:39 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
I was one that liked the looks of the PT when it was released, but never really thought that I would own one, but after my experience with a rental, I was sold. I had imagined it as a true compact, B-segment vehicle, not a Cherokee sized one. I am a die hard PT fan now and would replace my PT with another PT as long as they are available and my needs do not change. I believe they are the best cars in the segment, though, that is my $.02.

2012 Dodge Charger
2006 Nissan Xterra

Former: 1986 Dodge Daytona, 1988 Jeep Cherokee, 1997 Pontiac Sunfire, 2002 Jeep Wrangler, 1995 Ford Taurus Wagon, 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Old 28 Jun 2010, 08:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Only someone that doesn't work with ex-fleet vehicles on a regular basis will tell you not to worry about buying one.

We get ex-rental cars all the time at our dealership (PTs included). They have some of the most problems of all our vehicles that we put through the shop. The poeple that rent cars don't care about them because they're not their car. The cars do not recieve regular maintenance because as soon as they're turned in, they're usually rented to the next person. They can go thousands upon thousands of miles without any maintenance, and they are usually not maintained at the dealership, so service records are non-existent. I have yet to see an ex-fleet vehicle in acceptable condition for our sales lot.

My advice, as a dealer, is to stay away from fleet vehicles. Sure, many lots will detail the cars so they're clean inside and out, but covering up the problem doesn't make it go away.

Last edited by heifetz17; 28 Jun 2010 at 08:54 pm.
Old 28 Jun 2010, 09:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
Only someone that doesn't work with ex-fleet vehicles on a regular basis will tell you not to worry about buying one.
Thanks for the information - and by the way - were you effected by the flood? I noticed you were in Billings. My mother's side of the family is from Billings.
She showed me a newspaper article about flood up there.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 07:37 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
You are certainly in a position to know more about the internal workings of such vehicles as I, however, in my case, I have a difficult time believing that much abuse, other than cosmetic, can be accrued over four months and under 1800 miles. My case may be unique, but as long as I can find a vehicle with low mileage under or around its first scheduled oil change, I would not hesitate to buy another fleet vehicle.

Heifetz, out of curiosity, with fleet vehicles with more miles, is there a difference in abuse based on the type of vehicle? I would expect pickups and sportier cars to receive more than a Buick Lucerne; Would this be a correct assumption?

2012 Dodge Charger
2006 Nissan Xterra