Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
should I buy, good deal or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jul 2010, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default should I buy, good deal or not?

its a 05 convertable turbo lite clean carfax owned by a older couple, one owner. It has 68k on it, for 6,500
Old 01 Jul 2010, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: should I buy, good deal or not?

It sounds like a good deal but don't put too much faith on Carfax. That only works if the owners took the car in for repairs at the dealers or certain particular shops. Most shops don't report what they do to Car fax.

If you have a trusted mechanic, have him look it over for you.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Jul 2010, 05:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with Crewzin, many new PT buyers take one look at a PT and "gotta have it" syndrome kicks it. Take your time and have it thoroughly checked out by a trusted mechanic.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 01 Jul 2010, 07:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

will do , also all my friends think they are the ugliest pos cars out there and I say wait till I stage 1 that turbo lite lets see what that si or se-r will do now.

I love those srt engines mmmmm. Also how long do these hold up average.
Old 01 Jul 2010, 07:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsniper7 View Post
Also how long do these hold up average.
Too many variables when buying a used car. How was it taken care of? How well will you take care of it? How much will you be racing your friends and showing off? What kind of maintenance will you be doing to take care of it?

It's a good engine, the weak point in the transaxle. Throw in Stage 1 and run the heck out of it and you "might" make it to 100K.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Jul 2010, 07:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

so the engine and turbo is good its the tranny thats bad. Ok thats fixable, also they have all maintence records, they babied this thing.
Old 01 Jul 2010, 07:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The tranny isn't bad, a heck of a lot of us are over 100K with no problems is sight, but it won't take abuse, and as far as being fixable, a few very knowledgeable people have tried beefing it up and I don't believe that worked. Most ended up blowing up the tranny and putting out some good coin to get back on the road.

The web site PT Crew.com is full of gear heads that want all they can from the turbo PT. Some of them hang out hear. Maybe someone will join in and tell you more about it.

Old 03 Jul 2010, 05:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

what about a 03 gt with 70k on it for 6500, whats better the gt 03 or the 05 convertable turbo lite. Also isnt the 03 gt different from the 05 some way.
Old 03 Jul 2010, 05:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The 03 GT is the first year for the GT and puts out something like 215 HP but requires premium fuel to run efficiently. Lower gas grade is used by some owners but we advise them that if your going for the full GT, don't cheapen out on fuel grade.

The 05 Vert, I believe, was the first year for the Turbo Lite. Up 30 hp (to 180) from the non-turbo and only requires regular fuel. If I'm wrong about the first year Lite, then it was the second year and it already has the larger injectors that come as part of the package with Stage 1.

Old 03 Jul 2010, 05:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The 03 GT is the first year for the GT and puts out something like 215 HP but requires premium fuel to run efficiently. Lower gas grade is used by some owners but we advise them that if your going for the full GT, don't cheapen out on fuel grade.

The 05 Vert, I believe, was the first year for the Turbo Lite. Up 30 hp (to 180) from the non-turbo and only requires regular fuel. If I'm wrong about the first year Lite, then it was the second year and it already has the larger injectors that come as part of the package with Stage 1.

Sounds to me like the 05 Vert is a better deal. 2 years newer same mileage same price.