Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Why I Run Synthetic Oil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jul 2010, 07:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Why I Run Synthetic Oil

Doing a Little Maintenance, changing the radiator slight leak this winter at the seam, rad and heater hoses, turbo coolant hoses, oil cooler hoses etc, a few sensors while I have everything apart and I'll toss in a new starter since they are cheap, my pal got me a mopar one for 80$.

Car has a tad over 100K. Since I had to yank the intake I thought I would yank the valve cover too. Going to paint them both in wrinkle paint black.

ANyhow the car had 17K when I bought it in 2004 and had 3K miles dino changes bulk Mopar 5w-30 garbage oil according to the receipts in the guys book in the glove box.

Since then I have used Amsoil 5w-30 and Amsoil 5w-30 Diesel Oil for the winter season for about 8-10 K mile intervals from Nov to April, and whatever cheap Group III Fake Synthetic mostly Penz Platinum,Mobil 1, QS Horsepower or Advance 5w-30 or 10W-30 from my stash. Use these with 2 changes April to July and July to Nov with maybe 5-6K mile intervals. I uses Amsoil Super Duty Filters and when they swithed to the Donaldson media on the EAo series I use those. Air filters have been Puralator or Fram.

Also I change the PCV valve every other year about 25 K miles.

Was pleased since I expected it to be spotless with the Amsoil. Note their was no varnish and anything you see in the picture with the gold tinge is actually a film of oil. You can see the paint markings on the valve springs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cams.jpg (98.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Cams2.jpg (97.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg ValveCover.jpg (82.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 100KDirtyengine.jpg (94.7 KB, 61 views)

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 01 Jul 2010, 09:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Why I Run Synthetic Oil

I'm a believer in Synthetic also. Had a new oil pump put in my Vette at 150,000. Don't do that kind of work myself but mechanic even commented on the spotlessness of the bottom end of the engine and little wear and tear after those miles. I've used Mobil 1 since new back in 1987.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Jul 2010, 07:55 am
Young Cruiser

Hey guys! This may be a silly question, but do you both recommend running synthetic oil from the outset or changing at a certainly mileage marker?

2012 Dodge Charger
2006 Nissan Xterra

Former: 1986 Dodge Daytona, 1988 Jeep Cherokee, 1997 Pontiac Sunfire, 2002 Jeep Wrangler, 1995 Ford Taurus Wagon, 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Old 02 Jul 2010, 09:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I had a '92 Dodge Spirit that I bought new. Changed to synthetic at a couple hundred miles.
At about 150,000 miles it ran like crap - it had sucked a valve guide.
Mechanic had the head sitting on a bench, and the valve and cams were all bright and shiny - I asked what he used to clean it up, thinking he has soaked it in Gunk or something - he said "that's they way it was".
Synthetic oil is worth the extra few $.
I use Mobil 1.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Jul 2010, 09:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

A lot of new cars come with Synthetic already in them from the start. I was always told that a high mileage (100K+) car shouldn't change to synthetic if they hadn't already had it because synthetic will find the smallest of cracks/leaks and turn it into a leak you never had. Don't know if that's true or not but I wouldn't worry about that and if your going to change, do it now and don't forget to get all the old oil out and change the filter.

Supposedly though, if you ever needed a quart of synthetic oil in a pinch and didn't have any, adding a quart of Dyno wouldn't hurt.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Jul 2010, 11:26 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
A lot of new cars come with Synthetic already in them from the start. I was always told that a high mileage (100K+) car shouldn't change to synthetic if they hadn't already had it because synthetic will find the smallest of cracks/leaks and turn it into a leak you never had. Don't know if that's true or not but I wouldn't worry about that and if your going to change, do it now and don't forget to get all the old oil out and change the filter.

Supposedly though, if you ever needed a quart of synthetic oil in a pinch and didn't have any, adding a quart of Dyno wouldn't hurt.
Thanks, Crewzin.

2012 Dodge Charger
2006 Nissan Xterra

Former: 1986 Dodge Daytona, 1988 Jeep Cherokee, 1997 Pontiac Sunfire, 2002 Jeep Wrangler, 1995 Ford Taurus Wagon, 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Old 02 Jul 2010, 12:05 pm
Young Cruiser

I started synthetic on our 08 with 41k on it,have not seen even a small drip,but was concered about that.Now im coming up on 3000 miles on it and seems a waste not to let it go to 4-5k range,but might just change it at the normal 3k,can change it under 30 bucks with a wix filter.
Old 02 Jul 2010, 12:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I use synthetic since its first oil change and change it around the 5,000 mile mark.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 02 Jul 2010, 06:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

What if the car does not get driven much? Is it better to use the synthetic oil if the car will probably get less than 1000 miles a year and be stored in the winter?
Old 02 Jul 2010, 06:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by red06limited View Post
What if the car does not get driven much? Is it better to use the synthetic oil if the car will probably get less than 1000 miles a year and be stored in the winter?

I don't see any advantage to going synthetic for very low mileage cars but from what I've read yo still want to change your oil about once a year.