Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine noise question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2010, 06:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Engine noise question

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser with 206,000 miles on it. I have always ran synthetic oil and I have gotten very good service from this car. Lately I've noticed that just after I start up and drive, I hear a slight tapping engine noise if I push it very hard at all. It's not real loud and reminds me of the sound of sticking lifters. It completely goes away within a quarter mile or so. My question is: Is this just normal wear or is something serious about to go wrong here?? Besides the slight tapping noise at first, it runs as well as when I bought the car new.

Last edited by Frugalfart; 04 Jul 2010 at 05:03 pm. Reason: Sig Pic
Old 03 Jul 2010, 07:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine noise question

Welcome to the forum.

I like your mileage, headed that way myself. I have to think with that mileage your looking at normal wear and tear on a number of parts including injectors and valves. It could be taking just a minute or two to get the oil circulating and around to a particular part to it taps a little till well oiled.

Some times you don't want to mess with something like an engine flush to clear things out as it might do more damage than help.

Maybe someone else will jump in with a suggestion.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 04 Jul 2010, 12:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I wouldn't worry too much about it since it goes away. Maybe just switch to a slightly thicker weight oil?

If it gest worse, the most you'd be looking at would probably be a lifter job, which isn't a big deal on an overhead cam engine. Maybe even tackle it the next time you do your timing belt since you'll have to remove the cams and set the timing afterwards anyway?
Old 04 Jul 2010, 07:52 am
Cool Cruiser

It sounds like a sticky lifter. Do some research. I worked in a fleet shop before and they did the following and it worked great and doesn't hurt your engine...

Next time you change oil add one quart of TYPE "F" auto transmission fluid to your oil. If it takes 5 quarts put in one of type f and the balance of your regular oil. Don't add it to your existing oil as you will over fill the engine..Usually works..
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 04 Jul 2010, 08:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

heifetz17 & chigger_ns,

I could be wrong here (probably more than not) but you guys are talking lifters and as far as I know, the PT 2.4 DOHC engine has no lifters?

OHV, OHC, SOHC and DOHC (twin cam) engine - Automotive illustrated glossary

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 04 Jul 2010, 12:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That's what I thought as well Crewzin. That's why I was wondering what would be causing the noise, although it does have the same type of sound as sticking lifters. But then again I'm no auto mechanic so maybe I'm wrong????

Last edited by Frugalfart; 04 Jul 2010 at 05:02 pm. Reason: Sig Pic
Old 05 Jul 2010, 01:20 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Crewzin, all engines have lifters. They're also called tappets. They're hydraulic and filled with oil. They are the little circular parts between the cam lobes and valve spring retainers/valve stems.

That's what makes a lifter job on an OHC engine fairly simple. On an OHV engine, the lifters are in the middle of the engine directly above the camshaft, which is directly above the crankshaft. It requires significantly more engine disassembly than an OHC engine.

Last edited by heifetz17; 05 Jul 2010 at 01:25 am.
Old 05 Jul 2010, 10:01 am
Banned

I tried three times yesterday to pos this reply and failed each time. I'll try a shortened version today.

The only thing missing from our DOHC valvetrain is the pushrods. We have hydaulic lifters but they are called "valve lash adjusters" on our motors. They serve as a cushion between the valve stem and the rocker arm. With that many miles they would most likely be the first thing to show signs (sounds) of wear. They would be the logical source for your tapping sounds. I would absolutely consider this normal wear with over 200.000 miles on your car. The slight tapping is the FIRST sign of their wearing out.

Crewzin, I know you have a Haynes manual, so if you'll go to section 2A-17 then to illustration 12.3 and then read the section directly below the illustration (instruction 12) and you'll see what I'm talking about. In that section it explains removal/ inspection/ replacement of these lifters, which is what may have to done in this case.

Switching to a 10w40 will help in the short term. I've been using it here in Florida year round since my second oil change in 2004.

Jerry
Old 05 Jul 2010, 03:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
I tried three times yesterday to pos this reply and failed each time. I'll try a shortened version today.

The only thing missing from our DOHC valvetrain is the pushrods. We have hydaulic lifters but they are called "valve lash adjusters" on our motors. They serve as a cushion between the valve stem and the rocker arm. With that many miles they would most likely be the first thing to show signs (sounds) of wear. They would be the logical source for your tapping sounds. I would absolutely consider this normal wear with over 200.000 miles on your car. The slight tapping is the FIRST sign of their wearing out.

Crewzin, I know you have a Haynes manual, so if you'll go to section 2A-17 then to illustration 12.3 and then read the section directly below the illustration (instruction 12) and you'll see what I'm talking about. In that section it explains removal/ inspection/ replacement of these lifters, which is what may have to done in this case.

Switching to a 10w40 will help in the short term. I've been using it here in Florida year round since my second oil change in 2004.

Jerry
One correction. There are no rocker arms in an overhead cam engine. The lifters are directly controlled off the cam lobes, and sit directly on the valve stems.

You'll find rocker arms in a pushrod engine.
Old 05 Jul 2010, 04:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, you try to learn soething everyday and today I did. As I said in another thread, most ofmy knowledge is from the time of carbruators and lifter so big you could serve dinner on the flat end.

As you can see from the picture I posted of the DOHC and other engines in the link, they don't seem to want to show some adjusters, which to me, no matter what you call them or where they are placed, is an integral part of the engine.

Tags
engine, tapping