PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Completely dead battery after parking for 1 month. problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jul 2010, 03:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Completely dead battery after parking for 1 month. problem?

hi all,
i've not been around my pt cruiser for about 5 weeks. before i left, my car was running well and never failed; when i returned, a car is dead (even a remote wouldn't work). i would like to know if this is normal, considering noone drove this car for over a month. or if all i got to do is a jump start. i couldn't tell when a battery was installed and when i should replace it. btw, my car is a 2005 manual with about 65k mi.
let me know your 2 cents
thanks!
Old 04 Jul 2010, 04:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to YoungCruiserrr
Default Re: Completely dead battery after parking for 1 month. problem?

I parked my car all winter in Pa, so like early/mid november, till about march/april and it had no problems.. every few nice days I would take it out for a drive and let it run, but never had a problem of dead battery

Old 04 Jul 2010, 04:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i did not start my car at all for 5 weeks. what should i be looking at for any (bigger) problem than simply a jump start?
Old 04 Jul 2010, 04:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to YoungCruiserrr

I'm not the one to ask, but I had a friend recently had lose wires and it was as simple as that.. Someone else with more input will come along, I'm not the one to ask

Old 04 Jul 2010, 06:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It may just take a jump start, but if you have no idea when or if the battery was changed, I'd suggest you take it to a auto place to have it checked. There normally is no charge as they hope you will buy a battery (if needed) from them.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 04 Jul 2010, 06:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Today's cars (everyones) have so many computer modules that draw power, it is common for a battery to run down.
There is a fuse that should be pulled called an ignition off draw fuse when the vehicle sits for some time. If it is not in the owner's manual, any dealer can show you which fuse. It has a little clip on it to make it easy pull out.
If your battery went totally dead, I would have it load tested. I would not trust it next winter.
Old 05 Jul 2010, 01:11 am
Fanatic Cruiser

You're problem is most likely that you let the car sit so long the electrical systems simply ran the battery down. I'd skip the jump start and just get a new battery. Chances are that letting the battery get discharged to that level that it will not properly hold a charge anymore.

When you store the car, remove the battery. Simply pulling the IOD (ignition-off draw) fuse is not enough. The IOD fuse inhibits electrical draw on the battery when the ignition is off, however it doesn't eliminate all electrical draw. There are still traces of electrical draw even with the IOD fuse removed.

Either remove the battery and charge it periodically, or start the vehicle every week or so to keep the battery fully charged.
Old 05 Jul 2010, 09:44 am
Banned

Or simply use a product like a "battery tender" to keep the battery up to perfect charge for long periods of time. If you've never used one, they work great!

Jerry
Old 05 Jul 2010, 12:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

hi all,
last night, i jump-started my pt cruise: it took approx. 10 min of running my friend's car before my car started. i drove for 20-30 min then parked. this morninng as i tried to drive it to work, the battery's (seemingly) dead again with no light, no start, and noda. i do feel like i should replace a battery now or something. what's a battery tender??
thanks
Old 05 Jul 2010, 01:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Replace the battery. A tender is a trickle charger, good for keeping the battery charged. No good to charge a dead battery.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar