Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/c compressor leaking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2010, 12:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/c compressor leaking?

OK so after having some work done on our 03 pt cruiser, the mechanics failed to put a gasket in at the evaporator and all the refrigerant leaked out. I fixed it and the ac worked great for a while, but then it discharged. We thought this was the hose because she had hit a curb and not told me a week back, but after she had her father in law replace the hose it is still discharging. I ran it for a little and video'd the result. You can see it's leaking from that valve looking thing on the bottom of the compressor. I dont know what my next move is.

Any ideas why its doing this?

Old 06 Jul 2010, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/c compressor leaking?

If I'm not mistaken, that's the high pressure valve and you'll need to replace it. Unlike the recycling valve on top of the accumulator which doesn't loose any R134a when changing it, the high pressure valve vents everything...and it's illegal to just let it out in the atmosphere.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Jul 2010, 03:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

replace just the valve or the whole compressor?
Old 07 Jul 2010, 06:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The valve.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Jul 2010, 10:09 am
Young Cruiser

just went and checked my old compressor that i replaced last week and found out it is size 14 wrench, but couldnt find any auto part store online that sells it ! it must be a dealer item !!
remember to add pag oil 46 (double check though as my pt is 2006 ) since you lost some

can this valve considered compressor oil drain valve ?! in case you wanted to drain the oil and replace it ?! it is the lowest piont in the system
Old 07 Jul 2010, 03:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

so which valve should i get? this is autozone, but id prefer oreilly if they did have it. Air Compressor Repair Parts | AutoZone.com

Can someone walk me through the change or is it just remove old valve, replace, oil, and recharge?
Thanks
Old 07 Jul 2010, 04:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's too many different kinds of valves for me to help. Not sure which fits the PT compressor, and as far as replacing the old one, by law the old R134a should be captured and not vent into the atmosphere so unless you have the right equipment it should be done by a shop that does.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Jul 2010, 01:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

its already all spewed out as far as i know. pressure gauge reads 0 now and it shot a big cloud out when it messed up.
Old 09 Jul 2010, 11:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok so looking at the compressor it says 10s17c 47220 3673
3G 1843
HFC134a
in googling those i found the 10s17c to be fairly common but nothing lists the valve information. I can only find them to buy.
Old 09 Jul 2010, 11:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you tried just going to a Chrysler dealer with all your car information and buy one from them?