PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
washer does not work

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2010, 01:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default washer does not work

Hi Guys - I am new to this forum, so please bear with me while I try to explain this rather interesting problem. I just picked up a 2008 PT Cruiser - 34K - and all seems well - except for the deer I hit last week, but that's another story..The windshield washer for the front window doesn't work. When I pull the lever, no fluid comes out and the wipers don't turn on. The wipers work fine otherwise, they just won't turn on when I hit the washer. I checked the rear wiper/washer and it is functioning correctly. In my opinion, the pump seems to be OK and the switch in the column is bad, but before I go throwing a lot of $ at it, I want to make sure I am not overlooking something easy to fix. Can anyone help? Thanks
Old 06 Jul 2010, 09:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: washer does not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfp55 View Post
Hi Guys - I am new to this forum, so please bear with me while I try to explain this rather interesting problem. I just picked up a 2008 PT Cruiser - 34K - and all seems well - except for the deer I hit last week, but that's another story..The windshield washer for the front window doesn't work. When I pull the lever, no fluid comes out and the wipers don't turn on. The wipers work fine otherwise, they just won't turn on when I hit the washer. I checked the rear wiper/washer and it is functioning correctly. In my opinion, the pump seems to be OK and the switch in the column is bad, but before I go throwing a lot of $ at it, I want to make sure I am not overlooking something easy to fix. Can anyone help? Thanks
Open the hood and look at the tube that delivers the windshield washer fluid to the nozzles on the hood.....my "tube" came "loose"??, or broke apart?? from the nozzle....so I super glued it to the nozzle and all is good...going on 2 months now...hope this helps for a cheap fix...

Other rides:

2008 Honda Odyssey Touring Edition, NAV/DVD
2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4 Trail Teams Edition

Old 07 Jul 2010, 05:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My daughter's PT decided to stop squirting - I took off the blanket under the hood, and that's where the fluid was - the bottom of the squirters had disintegrated. I put in LED squirters (without hooking up the LEDs) and all is well.
The clips holding the blanket on are a PITA - I used needlenose pliers and a flat screwdriver, and with turning them, got them out.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Jul 2010, 07:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, Guys. I will check it today after work!
Old 07 Jul 2010, 07:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

I don't think that that would explain why the wipers do not turn on, though...
Old 08 Jul 2010, 04:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Not the squirters or any of the tubing....gonna have to try the switch, I guess
Old 10 Jul 2010, 11:06 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The car is still under warranty. Why not just have it fixed rather than putting your own time and money into it?
Old 11 Jul 2010, 12:45 am
Senior Cruiser

I had the same issue with my PT. Front ones wouldn't work, but the back ones were fine, so I took the tank out with the pump intact, and checked the pump..

In layman's terms, the pump uses a 'flapper' valve that has two positions. In position 1, it blocks off the tube leading to the rear wiper, and in position 2, it blocks off the tupe leading to the front wipers.

What had happened was, the 'actuator' on the flapper valve had quit working, and wouldn't move at all-- it was stuck on the rear. So, being that I didn't really use my rear wiper all that much (and I've since recently 'shaved' my rear wiper anyway), I manually popped the flapper valve over so that the front wipers would work.

Of course, you can easily fix this by obtaining a new pump.

Or, if you are still under warranty-- have the dealer fix it, but your issue appears to be identical to mine, and that was the problem. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Keep in mind that this was for a 2001, and I am not positive if the design of the pump changed between then and now.

Old 11 Jul 2010, 06:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Idropped the car off at the dealership on Friday to have the body work done for the deer strike. They will have it for about a week, during that time they are gonna take a look at the washer/wiper issue. I asked them if it was a warranty issue, and they informed me that because I bought the car used, the warranty was 90 days or 3750 miles, whichever came first, I went over the mileage by about 800 miles, but we will see if they still can help me out. Thanks for the help, and I will keep you posted on my progress.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 11:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfp55 View Post
Idropped the car off at the dealership on Friday to have the body work done for the deer strike. They will have it for about a week, during that time they are gonna take a look at the washer/wiper issue. I asked them if it was a warranty issue, and they informed me that because I bought the car used, the warranty was 90 days or 3750 miles, whichever came first, I went over the mileage by about 800 miles, but we will see if they still can help me out. Thanks for the help, and I will keep you posted on my progress.
How the hell did they come up with 3,750 miles? Couldn't they make it 5,000 miles?