Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating Once again!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2010, 11:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Overheating Once again!!!!

Hello all. Im VERY new at this forum thing. I have an 01' non-turbo. Simple, 4 door, black, limited edition, sunroof. I first read smoe of the threads and diagnosed my overheating problem as a bad fan. it was overheating at idle or in slow traffic. I replaced the thermostat and the fan. The fan runs awesome now. The only problem is now it is overheating worse!! B4 it would cool once over 45mph or so. Now it stays hot. I flushed the raditor at the same time as i changed the fan. THe Radiator was replaced about a month ago but had the wrong antifreeze in it. So i thought i would change it to the correct HOAT fluid. so i flush it properly and let ti run for about 10 min. THe fan kicks on great and in both speeds. But car still overheats. Reved the car to normal running RPMs and didnt coolit at all. Do i have air in my system or is the fluid not pumping through!!!1 HELP!!!!!!!!!

THanks!!!
Old 09 Jul 2010, 08:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating Once again!!!!

You only hit a few of the overheating causes...
Thermostat not upside down?
Didi you bleed the cooling system after changing coolant?
The radiator cap is cheap to replace and can cause overheating.
No sign of head gasket failure? (milky oil, dirty coolant)?
Lastly, how many miles? At about 100,000 miles, timing belt needs changing and water pump gets replaced.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Jul 2010, 03:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

THermostat isnt upside down, New cap last month, no signs of head gasket at all. IT has 165,000 on it but had the pump and belt replaced about a year ago. Teh only thing i dont know how to do it bleed the sytem through the valve., I know aboiut burbing it to let air out but how much it does i dont know. Cant you please explain how? THat would be a life saver! THanks so much!!!
Old 09 Jul 2010, 03:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Their is a little bleed valve under the radiator cap area you have to loosen it while wearing some protection because the water will be hot. If you have any trouble with that you can take the cap off while the PT is still not hot but still be careful, I wear a big rubber glove and a rag when doing this. Have extra antifreeze because if you have air the antifreeze will boil out and you will need to add more, Let it run for a while and the coolant should start to flow, than you can put the cap back on.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 09 Jul 2010, 04:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When do you open the valve
? running or not? should it be warm. im assuming so because thermostat wont be open. Thanks