Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Newbie from Michigan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2010, 07:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Newbie from Michigan

Hi guys, I'm a new member from Howell, Michigan. I presently own a 2001 PT which the wife drives 15 - 20k a year. It has about 135k on it now and just blew the timing belt. Well, I have it in my polebarn right now, she's driving my truck to work and my 86 Vette is my daily driver. I plan to replace the belt, and sell it because I think its time, high miles and all. Deal is this, wife has loved driving it and wants another one. She also would like a convertible. She has complained about the lack of power.

Could you guys help me with pros/cons of a Turbo and/or convertible? I'm thinking low mileage used (around 20k miles) and she'll probably put another 50k on it until she retires. Any help?

Thanks Roger
Old 09 Jul 2010, 07:28 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: PT Newbie from Michigan

welcome newbie . i had a 2002 base model pt , with 136.000 miles on it what a good pt it was ' i up graded to 2004 dream cruiser with highout put turbo . i love it' plenty of power it has 78.000 miles on it , just got back from a little trip to NH had no trouble with climbing mountains .would not go back to nonturbo hope this helps
Old 09 Jul 2010, 07:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
There were 2 turbos - the GT which needs premium, and the "turbo lite" which takes regular gas.
Like the 3 bears story, I find the turbo lite "just right". I had a non-turbo, and my daughter & son-in-law each have GTs, so I can compare.
Just be sure to use synthetic oil - the turbo needs it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Jul 2010, 08:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBNDN View Post
welcome newbie . i had a 2002 base model pt , with 136.000 miles on it what a good pt it was ' i up graded to 2004 dream cruiser with highout put turbo . i love it' plenty of power it has 78.000 miles on it , just got back from a little trip to NH had no trouble with climbing mountains .would not go back to nonturbo hope this helps
Thanks for the reply . . . right now I'm in timing belt shock with some of the horror stories and threads I've read. Did they redesign anything on the 2.4 to address this belt problem? I'm up still to the task to change it out. Does the average turbo have an age span when it may need rebuild or replacement? I'm retiring myself this fall and don't want a possible money pit. Normal maintenance and small repairs are not a problem for me. Please let me know, you guys are the wise ones!! Rog
Old 09 Jul 2010, 08:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Welcome.
There were 2 turbos - the GT which needs premium, and the "turbo lite" which takes regular gas.
Like the 3 bears story, I find the turbo lite "just right". I had a non-turbo, and my daughter & son-in-law each have GTs, so I can compare.
Just be sure to use synthetic oil - the turbo needs it.
Does the turbo "lite" improve MPG? Our 2001 2.4 isn't the best on gas mileage so I really don't want to take a step backward. Thanks Rog
Old 09 Jul 2010, 08:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popdart View Post
Does the turbo "lite" improve MPG? Our 2001 2.4 isn't the best on gas mileage so I really don't want to take a step backward. Thanks Rog
It ceratinly isn't worse. I record all gas that goes in, and I am getting just a hair over 25 MPG overall on my turbo for 87,000 + miles - but that is high compared to others on forums.
The turbo is not a problem area - provided you use synthetic oil and change it at 5,000 miles.
The turbo "lite" only comes with automatic.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Jul 2010, 08:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
It ceratinly isn't worse. I record all gas that goes in, and I am getting just a hair over 25 MPG overall on my turbo for 87,000 + miles - but that is high compared to others on forums.
The turbo is not a problem area - provided you use synthetic oil and change it at 5,000 miles.
The turbo "lite" only comes with automatic.
The 25 MPG sounds pretty good, my 2001 struggles to make 20 MPG. We want an automatic so that's cool. Glad to hear you haven't had any maintenance issues with your Turbo. Rog
Old 09 Jul 2010, 08:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Not just me, there are very few turbo issues reported on forums - usually when there is a turbo problem, they didn't use synthetic oil. Some regular oils can't take the heat of a turbo and "coke up" and ruin bearings.

Don't count on 25 MPG, the convertible is heavier - but what's a few MPG to make the wife happy?

If you've worked on the PT - one more added benefit of the turbo - you can do plugs (with swivel plug socket and another swivel) without taking off intake manifold!

BTW - I'm 63, last son in last year of college, and last daughter getting married in Spring - THEN I can think about planning to retire.....
Old 09 Jul 2010, 08:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Not just me, there are very few turbo issues reported on forums - usually when there is a turbo problem, they didn't use synthetic oil. Some regular oils can't take the heat of a turbo and "coke up" and ruin bearings.

Don't count on 25 MPG, the convertible is heavier - but what's a few MPG to make the wife happy?

If you've worked on the PT - one more added benefit of the turbo - you can do plugs (with swivel plug socket and another swivel) without taking off intake manifold!

BTW - I'm 63, last son in last year of college, and last daughter getting married in Spring - THEN I can think about planning to retire.....
You are right, gotta make the wife happy, she makes me happy. Hey, I'm an empty nester, and will be 62 this fall, I'm outta there after 35 years!! Rog
Old 09 Jul 2010, 10:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popdart View Post
Thanks for the reply . . . right now I'm in timing belt shock with some of the horror stories and threads I've read. Did they redesign anything on the 2.4 to address this belt problem? I'm up still to the task to change it out. Does the average turbo have an age span when it may need rebuild or replacement? I'm retiring myself this fall and don't want a possible money pit. Normal maintenance and small repairs are not a problem for me. Please let me know, you guys are the wise ones!! Rog

There is no belt problem at all. The FSM and owners manual tells you to replace at 90K miles, if I read your post correctly you have 130K miles? If the belt wasnt replaced at all then you got your moneys worth. Preventative maintenance goes a long way. These cars will go 200K easily if people do the maintenance and replace components that fail. The NA fans seem to be a problem from what I can see on the forum. My 03 GT has been bullet proof save the LCA bushings and Front wheel bearings, all covered by my at the time extended warranty.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2