Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Shaved door handles? Remote problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2010, 09:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Shaved door handles? Remote problem

The 01 PT we bought last weekend has had the door handles shaved, the wood kit covers where the handles would be. It has an aftermarket 2 button remote that rolls down the driver side window to get access to the car. I changed the battery in the remote and it has lost its program, the light comes on but nothing happens. Anyone have any idea how to re program one of these things? There is no brand on the remote, only a FCC id number.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 05:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Shaved door handles? Remote problem

Your going to have to find that brand name... check the main mdual that it speaks to.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 07:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

This is weird. I backed the cruiser into the driveway and popped the hood to have a look around for that receiver. Didn't see anything under the hood so I got back in and hit the remote and the window rolled down! Tested it several more times and it is working again. Not sure what to make of this but I still would like to get a spare remote.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 07:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Apparently something was loose or not making contact and opening or closing the hood got it working again. It will be hard to trace that kind of problem down but can be done with time.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 10:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

You gain access via the window? So, is there a manual emergency entry installed somewhere on the car in case the remote doesn't work.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 10:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpt View Post
You gain access via the window? So, is there a manual emergency entry installed somewhere on the car in case the remote doesn't work.

Correct
Old 10 Jul 2010, 11:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Check under the steering wheel, That panel pulls down on a hinge. My car starter module is there.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 02:33 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Shaved door handles? Remote problem

Hey their Marv,

Goo to hear you at least resolved your problem for the moment. For future reference just to be on the safe side of things, I would really recommend trying to trace out the line till you locate the receiver and get the brand name just in case you need it again at some point in the future.

Like chigger said, it may likely be hidden in the plastic panel right under the Steering Column.

The reason for the Importance of having the Manufacturer Information is, most Manufacturers program their Remote's via specific rhythmic coding, and most everyone for proprietary reasons likes to have their own unique Coding process, so should your Remote stop working, you won't be left out in the cold trying to figure out how to get your remote to let you back in your ride.

It could be as simple as holding the button down on your remote for5 seconds, then your power window switch up, and wait for an audible beep, or flash from the remote confirming the inf, or it could be a big time long, complicated mess. To me, I'd rather be safe than sorry, so like i was sayin, I would go ahead and trace it out, and have the info handy just in case.

Also, just out of curiosity, most of the time, it is an important aspect of doing shaved doors that the Installer put in a secondary way to get in just in case the battery dies on you. Usually it will be some type of a toggle switch set up hidden somewhere out of the way inside a wheel well, or behind a section of grill, or somewhere.hidden from view, but their if you ever should need it.

Ya never know, it just might pop up one of these days. Just gotta keep an eye out for it.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 11 Jul 2010, 08:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Did indeed find the black box tucked up under the steering wheel but it has no brand information on it. It does have programming information printed on the back cover. I will take it to one of our local electronics geeks to see what the odds of getting another remote programmed are.
Old 11 Jul 2010, 09:51 am
Senior Cruiser

No door handles would wig me out, even if it looked really nice like it does on your PT.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson