PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My PT is OVERHEATING when the A/C turns on...not the fan!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jul 2010, 12:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Lightbulb My PT is OVERHEATING when the A/C turns on...not the fan!!

I have a 2001 Pt Cruiser with 158000 Miles and when driving it runs a little warmer than normal but when the A/c gets turned on it overheats within 10 min...I had the fan checked and it cut on on both speeds. So now i have no idea what to do next there are many diff things that could be wrong so if anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You
God Bless!
Old 10 Jul 2010, 12:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My PT is OVERHEATING when the A/C turns on...not the fan!!

Welcome to the forum.

If it's been a little warmer than normal without the A/C, the other components have to be checked out to find out why. Are you loosing any fluid? If so, you have to look for the leak, possibly a hose, hole in the radiator or cap, thermostat, weaping water pump or cracked head gasket. If your not loosing any coolant, the radiator could be partially blocked or air trapped in the system.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 04:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I agree it has been quite warm. Ok the Pt is not loosing any fluids and not putting off any smoke (tail pipe or engine) I dont believe its the thermostat because when it over heats I smell a burning like odor and sitting in the car I can hear bubbles????(best way to describe it) how do i go about checking if the radiator is partially blocked or air trapped in the system. Thank you for all your help
Old 10 Jul 2010, 04:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it's bubbling, that's a sure sign of air trapped in the coolant system. A closed system with no air with let the boiling temperature raise quite a bit over the normal 220 degrees. Air lowers that. There are shops around that will test the radiator for blockage. Once that's checked and the right coolant is put back in, there's a bleed screw by the thermostat that will let any trapped air out of the system. It usually takes a couple times of filling and bleeding to get all the air out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you I will have that checked out another quick question this is my first Pt and I was wondering what kinda coolant do you think is the best to use
Old 10 Jul 2010, 04:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Chrysler only recommends coolant known at HOAT. There are a couple of brands that have that nomenclature so check around.

Here's a couple of older threads on the topic:

Special engine coolant fluid

HELP! I mixed dexcool and the yellow coolant together!!!

Proprietary Coolant?

need help with thermostat removal and coolant type

Old 10 Jul 2010, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok so I just had the cooling system blead it was fine no air in the system. But the container where you add coolant has a rust colored film on the inside walls of the container..could this be coming from my radiator and what does it mean....could my radiator be rusted and would I need to look into getting it replaced???????
Old 10 Jul 2010, 05:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes it could be from your radiator and you might just need it flushed to get out any contaminants.

Old 10 Jul 2010, 08:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Buy some Hoat antifreeze 4 gallons of premixed 50/50 stuff from here(link below) or a local place. Bring it to Jiffy lube or a pep boy kind of place that has the machine to flush your radiator and make sure they use the Hoat and not the crap they normally put in.

Approved Vendor ZXGO5RU1 Antifreeze/Coolant

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson

Tags
asap, overheating