Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Multiple issues with 2003 Cruiser.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jul 2010, 03:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Multiple issues with 2003 Cruiser.

Hello,

I have an '03 Cruiser with a few issues, but I decided to put them all in one post in case anyone may conclude that any are related. To start, the a/c had been acting up. It would blow cold usually, but sometimes, especially when idling, it seemed something would throw a fit under the hood. Something would try to kick on, making the car idle rough. This would last about 5 seconds, then it shuts off. This would repeat over and over. Then, a couple weeks ago, what sounded like the a/c belt started squealing terribly. When we looked under the hood, smoke was coming from somewhere and there was what looked like oil sprayed around the back of the engine around the firewall. I was trying to find what may have been leaking when the car made this sound like someone turned on an air compressor. It lasted for only a second, but I could feel the air being blown on my feet and it startled me. We haven't ran the a/c since. BTW, I never found any leak. A couple days ago, the check engine light came on. I checked the code. P0340 - Camshaft position sensor. When you start the car, it wants to stall real bad but doesn't. After you accelerate the first time, the issue goes away. I replaced the sensor but it didn't solve the problem. However, I wiggled the wires and the check engine light hasn't come back on. So there may be a short, but I'm not mechanically inclined, which should be obvious by now, so to me it looks hard to fix. Also, there was oil all over the wires. When I took the old sensor off, there was a small amount of oil leaking out from where the sensor is bolted onto the engine. Is this normal? Lastly, I took the radiator cap off and the antifreeze is sludging terribly. It's been killer hot here in NC the past few weeks, so should I get it flushed? The temp gauge doesn't go past the very middle. Sorry this is so long i just would like everything to be in one post in case things can be linked together. Thanks!! Scott
Old 10 Jul 2010, 04:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Multiple issues with 2003 Cruiser.

Sounds like your compressor clutch was going out and finally locked up. The smoke you saw was from the belt turning on a pulley that wasn't. You need to get that car to a good A/C shop ASAP.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 04:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with above. You have to find yourself a trusted mechanic that can start diagnosing and fixing one thing at a time. The cam sensor shouldn't have oil all over it and it might just be a small gasket problem but the wiring itself has to be checked out for any signs of wear. Sludge in the radiator is bad news and the whole unit should be taken out and flushed and checked for clogging. Sounds like the wrong coolant was used.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 05:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank you for your replies. What else is the a/c belt connected to? I'm guessing if the belt was trying to turn a pulley but it wouldn't spin, that that would cause the belt to break. Shouldn't whatever else was connected to that beltline have stopped working too if the belt went? And what was the liquid that is sprayed everywhere? It def wasn't freeon. We just bought the car in April. I tried to determine the color of the antifreeze but its brown from the sludging so I can't tell. If I were to guess I would say it was orange. Is it difficult to flush yourself? Must the radiator be taken out? I ask only to save myself as much $$ as possible. Thank you again!
Old 10 Jul 2010, 05:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The NOAT coolant that Chrysler recommends is orange so that's a good sign, The belt for the alternator is separate, everything else runs on the serpentine belt. Not sure what the other liquid is that sprayed everywhere if it wasn't the orange stuff.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 05:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The HOAT coolant that Chrysler recommends is orange so that's a good sign, The belt for the alternator is separate, everything else runs on the serpentine belt. Not sure what the other liquid is that sprayed everywhere if it wasn't the orange stuff.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 10 Jul 2010, 06:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Can I use the yellow prestone anti-freeze?? It says it can mix with any color and be used with any car.... Its the 50/50 mix.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 07:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjagd02 View Post
Can I use the yellow prestone anti-freeze?? It says it can mix with any color and be used with any car.... Its the 50/50 mix.

Please read...

My PT is OVERHEATING when the A/C turns on...not the fan!!

Old 10 Jul 2010, 07:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks.. seems like it's hard to find.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 08:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjagd02 View Post
Thanks.. seems like it's hard to find.
Napa or online here Approved Vendor ZXGO5RU1 Antifreeze/Coolant

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson

Tags
antifreeze, camshaft, oil, p0340