Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bizarre electrical problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jul 2010, 04:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bizarre electrical problem

I don't know if you've had this problem --- I doubt it!

When I got in my Cruiser to drive home from work the other day, I noticed an indicator lamp illuminated that I had never seen before. I didn't have time to look it up at the time and I drove home. When I tried to start the Cruiser next morning, the battery was D-E-D dead! Today I hooked up an auxiliary battery to start it and saw the light again --- I looked up the symbol and discovered that it's the fog lamp indicator. The weird thing is that I don't have fog lamps! I looked in the fuse box under the hood, and sure enough, no fuse in position 21.

I suspect that the multi-function switch is shorted somehow and will need to be replaced --- I haven't pulled the switch out yet, but I may, just to see if I can figure out what's wrong.

Anybody know anything about this?

Thanks, Larry
Old 10 Jul 2010, 04:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Bizarre electrical problem

When the battery went out on our previous PT, the dash display went nuts, flashing lights, erratic display, etc. A new battery solved everything.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 04:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Never heard of the fog light problem with someone without fog lights? You don't say what year cruiser you have but if it's between 00-05 the fuse for the fog's is No#8 in the interior fuse box.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Jul 2010, 08:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinsc View Post
When the battery went out on our previous PT, the dash display went nuts, flashing lights, erratic display, etc. A new battery solved everything.
Haunted Vehicle Syndrome (HVS) is pretty common on Chryslers as batteries approach their point of demise. It is especially common with late model Town & Country minivans. HVS can actually be used as a weird diagnostic tool.
Old 14 Jul 2010, 08:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

By chance did you have a very humid or rainy night?
Old 15 Jul 2010, 12:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks to all who replied, but I found the answer in Sticky #2 --- turns out it's a failing multi-function switch, a very common problem.

Currently I'm driving without fuse #8 --- where's the best place to buy a new switch?

Thanks, Larry
Old 16 Jul 2010, 09:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Try RockAuto.com - good prices and quick.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Electrical switch/relay
Then turn signal switch

Strange there's such a variation in prices - I got the cheapest one for my daughter's - she had fogs, but I think you can use the same switch if you don't have fogs.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 16 Jul 2010 at 09:24 am. Reason: added link