PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

what is wrong with my manual transmission?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2010, 09:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default what is wrong with my manual transmission?

Hi All,

My 2003 PT Cruiser GT has a 5 speed. Just purchased car two months ago with 98k. I have driven manual for nearly 25 years. When I shift from 1st to second and second to third, very minor "clunk". First gear, third to fourth and shifting from fourth to fifth are smooth and seamless. The only way I can avoid the slightly rough up shift is to shift at 2200 RPM's from first to seond and second to third.

Clutch was replaced by prior owner 25k miles ago. Clutch is fine. I do not know when MTF was last changed.

Has anybody else experienced this minor problem. I want to get problem fixed mainly for passenger comfort. I am not an transmission expert but I seem to recall having some bushings replaced on my prior car years ago.

Thanks for any advice on problem shooting what may be causing this slightly rough upshift.

Brian
Old 17 Jul 2010, 10:02 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA
Default Re: what is wrong with my manual transmission?

yup. it's the bushings. have the same problem with my gt. i plan on ordering replacement poly bushings. here is a link to the site where you can buy them. they also have an installion video there as well.

PT Cruiser Shifter Bushing Kit Chrysler PT Cruiser Shifter Bushings [SRK-106] - $15.95
Old 17 Jul 2010, 10:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks see part is $15.95 How much do you think Aamco or other transmission shop will charge for labor?
Old 01 Aug 2010, 02:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello.. I'm new to the forum and hope someone can help me out.

I've recently been having problems shifting (primarily into 1st and 2nd) on my 06 manual transmission PT and read on a few posts to try replacing the bushings before anything else. The two on the transmission end were easy enough to do and now I'm onto the shifter set. I've already got the center console out and I see where the bushings are but I'm not quite sure how to get them off. Could anyone help me out?
Old 04 Aug 2010, 10:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just replaced my bushings (booger bushings) a few minutes ago, and I just pried very carefully the arm off the post, and pushed out the old ones with a screwdriver. I was very careful not to break the plastic ends. (I think if you break them, you have to replace the entire cable unit) The bushing on the shifter was pretty hard to get back onto the post. I used a little of water based lubricant to have it slide on a little easier. I hope this helps! Thanks to all who posted about this problem!
Old 04 Aug 2010, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelossantos71 View Post
.. I just pried very carefully the arm off the post, and pushed out the old ones with a screwdriver..
That's exactly what I ended up doing as well. I felt dumb afterward.
Old 06 Aug 2010, 04:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've been having similar problems with my 2006 5-speed manual, and was going to try these bushings out but hadn't gotten to it yet. Normally, I have a hard time shifting into 1st and 2nd (sometimes even 3rd) on really hot 100-degree days here in SC.

Anyway, today my while my wife was out the car stopped shifting into gear at all. Is it possible that my problem might be a simple matter of switching out the bushings, or is it more likely to be something more serious?

If I could have prevented this by switching the bushings earlier, I'm ashamed already

I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but any ideas you guys have would be appreciated.
Old 07 Aug 2010, 12:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtjohnso View Post
I've been having similar problems with my 2006 5-speed manual, and was going to try these bushings out but hadn't gotten to it yet. Normally, I have a hard time shifting into 1st and 2nd (sometimes even 3rd) on really hot 100-degree days here in SC.

Anyway, today my while my wife was out the car stopped shifting into gear at all. Is it possible that my problem might be a simple matter of switching out the bushings, or is it more likely to be something more serious?

If I could have prevented this by switching the bushings earlier, I'm ashamed already

I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but any ideas you guys have would be appreciated.
The shifting problem I'm noticing moreso when it's hotter as well, but lately its started to happen periodically in the morning as well. I dropped my PT off at the dealership earlier and they're going to get back to me on Monday to give me a better idea.

If you're having trouble shifting into any gear at all while stopped try shifting into neutral, release the clutch, push the clutch back in and shift into gear.. that has worked for me when I started having problems. You might need to do it twice but try it.. it might work for you, too.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 11:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

OK, so I've put these bushings in and the car is shifting a lot better. Since then we haven't had the really high temperatures here that would cause me to have a lot of trouble, but as far as I can tell so far I think the bushings may have done the trick. Thanks everyone!
Old 30 Sep 2010, 04:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkmchnb View Post
The shifting problem I'm noticing moreso when it's hotter as well, but lately its started to happen periodically in the morning as well. I dropped my PT off at the dealership earlier and they're going to get back to me on Monday to give me a better idea.

If you're having trouble shifting into any gear at all while stopped try shifting into neutral, release the clutch, push the clutch back in and shift into gear.. that has worked for me when I started having problems. You might need to do it twice but try it.. it might work for you, too.
I live in Phoenix and am having the same trouble. Leave for work when it's 75 and shifting is easy. Go home when it's 105 and shifting into any gear is very difficult. This doesn't sound like the bushing problem that eveyone is describing here