Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear washer switch turns on all wipers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2010, 10:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear washer switch turns on all wipers

I ran out of windshield washer the other day. After I refilled it the front works fine but when I try to spray my rear window the rear and front wipers run for a few cycles but the rear window stays dry. I have held the button down long enough to refill the tube and no help.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 18 Jul 2010, 11:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear washer switch turns on all wipers

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you have air trapped in the line. Maybe someone else can come up with a better idea but here's mine.

Open the rear hatch. The 3rd brake lite and rear window washer is covered up by one single piece of interior trim. It has 4 hidden snaps (2 on each end) that hold that whole piece on. Just grab it and pull it straight out towards you. It will snap right out. You'll be able to see the rubber washer hose when the interior piece of off. You'll also see that there's a plastic connection between the hose coming from the front of the car and the washer itself. It's held on with a metal ring that will have to come off to give you access to the hose. Once that ring is off (here's the bad part) you'll have to apply suction to that long part of the hose to draw the fluid from the front. Hopefully you have something to do that (suction pump maybe) or yo can guess what else you can do. (DON"T SWALLOW ANYTHING).

Whatever you use, you should be able to connect the hose to the washer and try the button up front to see if your getting fluid all the way back to the hatch. If that works, just cover up the 3rd light by pushing the interior piece straight back in place.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the quick reply but it does not explain why the front wipers come on when I push the rear wash button. They didn't before. It seems electrical, like a stuck relay, but I got confused when I looked at the Haynes manual.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 08:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Jtwheels2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you have air trapped in the line. Maybe someone else can come up with a better idea but here's mine.

Open the rear hatch. The 3rd brake lite and rear window washer is covered up by one single piece of interior trim. It has 4 hidden snaps (2 on each end) that hold that whole piece on. Just grab it and pull it straight out towards you. It will snap right out. You'll be able to see the rubber washer hose when the interior piece of off. You'll also see that there's a plastic connection between the hose coming from the front of the car and the washer itself. It's held on with a metal ring that will have to come off to give you access to the hose. Once that ring is off (here's the bad part) you'll have to apply suction to that long part of the hose to draw the fluid from the front. Hopefully you have something to do that (suction pump maybe) or yo can guess what else you can do. (DON"T SWALLOW ANYTHING).

Whatever you use, you should be able to connect the hose to the washer and try the button up front to see if your getting fluid all the way back to the hatch. If that works, just cover up the 3rd light by pushing the interior piece straight back in place.
will this fix if my back sprayer just seems to drizzle down the window vs 'spray' in a v down the window? I have an 05, I have only had it since 11/10 but it has done it since day 1.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 08:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You might have a clogged nozzel. take a small needle and push it into the hole where the water comes out to see if you can clear the hole. Just looked at mine and it's completely clogged...but I took the rear wiper off so I don't use the sprayer.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 07:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Jtwheels2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You might have a clogged nozzel. take a small needle and push it into the hole where the water comes out to see if you can clear the hole. Just looked at mine and it's completely clogged...but I took the rear wiper off so I don't use the sprayer.

I was going to do this, but being as the nozzle is so tiny i did not want to damage anything. Thanks for the tip
Old 15 Aug 2011, 09:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Dunno. You need the FSM electrical section? (early '01-'03)
I have a new switch on e-bay if that turns out to be the trouble.

drive089 | eBay