Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator Flush Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2010, 11:35 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Radiator Flush Kit

So here is the flush kit I bought, anyone ever use it before? The directions are not very clear for the non-mechanically inclined. Also, take a look at what my anti-freeze looks like...

sorry the pics are so big, dont have any software to shrink it.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 12:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator Flush Kit

I've used something like that before. You have to cut one of your hoses that go to the firewall that's connected to the evaporator. you put the "T" section in that hose, the one with the screw-on top. Mine also came with an plastic elbow piece that fit into the radiator top and pointed away from the car so the water being flushed pushed out to a bucket or some sort of container.

Once the "T" connector is secured in the hose, the water hose from your house is attached to the threaded part and turned on (if I remember right, been a lot of years). I seem to remember running the engine before attaching the water hose so the thermostat opens up and also turning on the heater inside the car so the water runs through the evaporator. Once the thermostat is open. Shut the engine off, carefully undo the threaded top of the "T" section and add the water hose. Turn the water hose on and the force of the hose water pushes all the coolant and water inside the engine/radiator/hoses out the top of the radiator. That's where the plastic elbow comes in forcing the water where you want it to go.

You can also run the engine while the flush is going on as long as yo keep the water hose going to cool the engine.

P.S. No, your coolant doesn't look good.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 18 Jul 2010 at 12:17 pm.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 02:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

By the sounds of it, I am guessing that the T you insert into the spliced hose is permanent? Or do I need to replace the hose? Also, is there anything i need to drain/bleed before doing this? When I cut the hose, do I risk getting antifreeze everywhere? Thanks a lot!
Old 18 Jul 2010, 03:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, with that kit, it's permanent. You can let a little water out of the hose before cutting or just cut it over some sort of pail to catch any coolant.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 04:47 pm
Young Cruiser

what is the recomended intervals for flushing the coolant ?!
Old 18 Jul 2010, 05:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

OK so I think i see a hose that would work... it comes out from the front of the radiator cap and leads to the overflow tank, running along the extreme left side of the hood. One problem I see is what you mentioned about the elbow attached to the radiator cap. Even if I had one to put on, the cap is kinda in the middle of the engine, so it looks like capturing the fluid will be a challenge... There is some sort of bleeder beside the radiator cap, do I need to open that or just drain from the bottom of the radiator? I thinking the flush kit has a "bleeder" on the hose coupler. When you fill the car back up with 50/50 mix, once fluid comes out of that coupler, then it is safe to put the cap back on, am I right?
Old 18 Jul 2010, 05:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

p.s. my instructions state to remove the radiator cap, but then it says that it should flush out the bottom of the radiator? What's the point of taking off the radiator cap then? Won't the fluid spray out of there instead, flying everywhere?
Old 18 Jul 2010, 05:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Oh yeah one more thing, can I use aluminum roasting pans to drain the fluid in and take them to advance auto parts or auto zone?
Old 18 Jul 2010, 06:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Whoa, lots of questions. As I said, it's been years since I used a flush kit like that. You take the cap off to create an inlet for air and the radiator will drain faster. The bleed screw is only used after everything is tightened back up to get the air out but if your kit has a bleed valve that will work also. Two bleed ways are better than one. It's important to get all the air out when finished. The coupler I think is used to fill everything back up but you still might have air trapped in the top of the radiator so bleed it from the original bleed screw. You can capture the old coolant the best way you can and there are places that will have coolant tanks that you can dispose of the old coolant. Even our recycle place takes old coolant so look around or make some calls to see who will take it.

Old 18 Jul 2010, 06:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin, sorry for all the questions, but you have answered almost all of them... once I figure out the hose I am supposed to splice I will be set. The process doesn't seem hard, just knowing where things are and exactly what is going on when I am doing this process is the only way I like to do it. Thank you again!