PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Limp Mode?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2010, 10:42 am
Young Cruiser

Default Limp Mode?

I got a 2002 Touring Edition PT a while back. I got it pretty cheap because it had a broken timing belt. I was told the TCM was replaced and even got a receipt from where the previous owner had bought a re-manufactured TCM online (and had to send in the Vin to get it programed)

After replacing the timing belt, tensioners, water pump, oil seals, battery cable and a couple of tires I've found it's still in Limp mode. I haven't tagged it yet so I can't take it anywhere to have any codes read ...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might replace in order to get this functioning normally? I've driven it a little and it does seem to be getting hot much quicker than one normally would ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 19 Jul 2010, 11:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Limp Mode?

Welcome to the forums.
Pull the codes - I assume check engine light is on?
How to retrieve fault codes.
If it's P0700, you're tranny may have died.
There are more codes that only can be pulled with the proper scanner to determine what's up with the tranny.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Jul 2010, 11:24 am
Young Cruiser

The tutorial didn't mention holding in the trip odometer button. Is that necessary to do? When I did that it didn't display any fault codes or say done... just counted from 1 to 9 and displayed some information that I looked up online and seems is just the info about the version of the computer.

Am i doing something wrong?
Old 19 Jul 2010, 11:28 am
Young Cruiser

P1684 and P0700 ... sorry it would have helped if I had thoroughly read that tutorial before posting a reply. I'll try to look those up now ... Thank you very much.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 11:35 am
Young Cruiser

It's a shame that I'm not going to be able to drive it to a place to have the TCM codes read. I know there's a fairly large salvage yard an hour or so away from me.

Another question I guess would be ... would it be worth it to pull a transmission out of another pt for 120 bucks(+gas money) or are they likely going to have the same problem. (and would a transmission place charge me more for diagnosis than I would have to pay for a whole transmission from a salvage yard(that has a 31 day warranty on it). And is there a market for people wanting to buy a car that's in limp mode? as in would I be able to sell it for more than scrap ?

Sorry for the excessive amount of questions.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 19 Jul 2010, 12:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

My hunch is that since timing belt broke, it's got a lot of miles. Since timing belt wasn't changed as preventive maintenance, it's a sure bet the tranny fluid was never changed.
I'd be looking for another tranny. Try & find a wreck w/low miles....
Old 19 Jul 2010, 05:37 pm
Young Cruiser

I forgot to mention that I have just over 100k miles on it. Do the transmissions on PT Cruiser really only last 100 thousand miles?

If so that's most disheartening, but easily remedied still...
Old 19 Jul 2010, 06:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Who told you that? I have 103K and looking forward to go to double that. There's members on this forum that are going towards 200K now. Whoever said that probably hates PT Cruisers or ran the crap out of their's with no maintenance till it fell apart.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 20 Jul 2010, 01:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

We very rarely get PTs in our dealership with problems. We hardly even get the infamous cooling fan problem that I read about so much on here. ( I even talked to one of our PT techs, and he said in the last 10 years he's maybe done three cooling fans!)

Bottom line is, maintenance is everything. If you maintain the transmission and flush it when it's time to flush it, it will probably outlast the car. If you leave it alone, it will probably fail around 100k miles.

These cars are extremely reliable when properly taken care of.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 07:05 am
Young Cruiser

That is very good to know