Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
TCM P0700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2010, 07:21 am
Young Cruiser

Default TCM P0700

I'm having an error code P0700 with a 2002 touring ed. Pt Cruiser. Since I don't have it tagged yet and can't take it to a place to have any other error codes read does anyone know what might cause this? Any common things that may cause this?

It had the TCM replaced (after getting this TCM error code[0700]), but the car never got out of limp mode thereafter.

Since the previously owner put this in on their own is there a chance they didn't install it properly? [i was told it was ordered online, and flashed properly as they had to provide the VIN to flash it] Or is it more likely they just replaced it even though it wasn't the real problem?

*I can buy a whole transmission from an Orlando salvage yard for the same price any local transmission place wants to charge me JUST to diagnose my problem.

[I've tried to research this online, but it appears as though this forum is one of the few places with any relevant/useful PT information]
Old 21 Jul 2010, 03:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: TCM P0700

It's hard to know what someone else did. According to what I know about the fault code P0700:

P0700 is an informational DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) letting you know that a DTC(s) is stored in the Transmission Control Module.

A DTC is the result of a system or circuit failure, but does not directly identify the failed component or components. It could be any of the conditions. I would not assume that it is the solenoid pack without further tests with a DRB scan tool and diagnostic manual.

SO, the TCM might have been replaced after the scanner said it needed to be or it might have been replaced in error and the actual fault is still there.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: TCM P0700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentron View Post
I'm having an error code P0700 with a 2002 touring ed. Pt Cruiser. Since I don't have it tagged yet and can't take it to a place to have any other error codes read does anyone know what might cause this? Any common things that may cause this?

It had the TCM replaced (after getting this TCM error code[0700]), but the car never got out of limp mode thereafter.

Since the previously owner put this in on their own is there a chance they didn't install it properly? [i was told it was ordered online, and flashed properly as they had to provide the VIN to flash it] Or is it more likely they just replaced it even though it wasn't the real problem?

*I can buy a whole transmission from an Orlando salvage yard for the same price any local transmission place wants to charge me JUST to diagnose my problem.
if it had been replaced you wouldnt see po700 code unless they didnt erase it

[I've tried to research this online, but it appears as though this forum is one of the few places with any relevant/useful PT information]
looks like you were taken in by the i already did this and that routine
Old 29 Dec 2011, 04:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Getting it out of limp mode is going to be your problem. That error code, or DTC, is easily erased by simply pulling the negative lead off the battery for 5 minutes or so. Is it driveable? Can you get it to say an Autozone, or Advance Auto? They can read your DTC's and tell you what's there. You really will most likely have more buried under that one. It's really difficult to troubleshoot this over a forum without more info, and without having my hands on it.

You're too far away for me to volunteer to come over and help, if you were closer I would...like about 4 states closer....
Old 29 Dec 2011, 04:53 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Bentron - what part of Missouri are you in? I am in Springfield, but don't have the knowledge or equipment to diagnose/remove the codes.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 02:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I got a 2006 here in Brazil.
First the car started with ABS and Trac.Control, and then Airback and check transmition while stuck in limp-on.
Changed the whole PCM and the car still have the same problems.
I noticed that while they changed the PCM the battery cable was never off.
They scanned and it shows the front wheel sensor is off, but can all that happen just because of that sensor? like the limp-in mode?