Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC Compressor Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2010, 03:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default AC Compressor Question

I have a 2005 Dream Cruiser Series 4 2.4L turbo with 5 speed trans. Can anyone tell me what the differences are in the AC compressors between the Manual and automatic trans that I can't use a compressor from an automatic car? Thanks for the help.
Old 02 Aug 2010, 10:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: AC Compressor Question

Really thanks for all the help can no one tell me the answer to my question?
Old 02 Aug 2010, 10:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's very possible that the 44 people that looked at your question do not know the answer. Who told you there was a difference and how come they didn't say what that difference was?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 08:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have checked all three part store website. Autozone, Advance, and O'Reily and they all list one compressor for a manual trans and one for an automatic on a 2.4L turbo car. There is no listing as to what the differance is between the 2. That is why I came here looking for answers. When I look up a dodge neon of the same year only one compressor is listed. If the differance is nothing major then I will use one from an auto car. Thanks again it is just getting frustrating to get some air back in this car.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 09:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Very true. About half the questions we get on this forum are about the A/C. Almost all of them can be answered with a general knowledge of A/C systems and because a lot of us have run into one or more of the problems that are asked. Your, I'm afraid, is something nobody has asked before and is quite pacific. Most owners would just buy a new compressor (if they needed one) that was for the type of PT they had.

A general answer to your question would be that the computer controls so many functions of what's going on in the whole carby means of sensors, the manual trans does things differently than the auto and the sensors needed to control the auto aren't on the manual or at least they are different sensors. Don't know if I got my point across and don't think that will help, sorry.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 03 Aug 2010 at 09:21 am.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 09:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My Dad was able to look at a compressor from a manual and automatic car at a dealer. The difference is that mounting bolts are different distances. The Automatic (I think) are wider then the manual car.