PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
my 03 Limited

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2010, 12:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Default my 03 Limited

Hi, everybody:

I am a new cruiser. Just bought a 03 Limited with 18,000 miles last week. I took it to a 500 miles round trip this week after a fresh oil change (Mobile1 synthetic and K&N oil filter). It seems that I can get 24mpg on highway, <20mpg in town. Both numbers are lower than the EPA numbers, I am a bit disappointed. Is there anything I can do to get better gas mileage? I am planning on a K&N air filter and spark plug replacement.

Another issue I had is the body vibration. At any speed, the car body is vibrating, I can feel it through my feet on the floor. At low speed, it's barely noticeable, but above 50mph, the vibration is quite clear. At this point, I suspect the muffler causes the problem. Could it be something else?

Thanks.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 03:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: my 03 Limited

Could be an engine torque strut out of place. They are adjustable.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 06:28 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb View Post
Hi, everybody:

I am a new cruiser. Just bought a 03 Limited with 18,000 miles last week. I took it to a 500 miles round trip this week after a fresh oil change (Mobile1 synthetic and K&N oil filter). It seems that I can get 24mpg on highway, <20mpg in town. Both numbers are lower than the EPA numbers, I am a bit disappointed. Is there anything I can do to get better gas mileage? I am planning on a K&N air filter and spark plug replacement.

Another issue I had is the body vibration. At any speed, the car body is vibrating, I can feel it through my feet on the floor. At low speed, it's barely noticeable, but above 50mph, the vibration is quite clear. At this point, I suspect the muffler causes the problem. Could it be something else?

Thanks.
24MPG is nothing to complain about. Remember, the Cruiser has the aerodynamics of a brick and is a heavy car for it's size.

People say I have a drinking problem. I Drink... I Get Drunk... I Fall Down... No problem! ! !
Old 22 Jul 2010, 07:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Get rid of the stock wires also, as far as the vibration goes how are the tires and rims looking?

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 22 Jul 2010, 12:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Steel Blue View Post
24MPG is nothing to complain about. Remember, the Cruiser has the aerodynamics of a brick and is a heavy car for it's size.
I fill up the tank today, and did some calculation. It turns out that it only manages 22.3mpg on 100% highway driving. I have a Chevy HHR, it also has a 2.4L engine, but I can easily get 30mpg on highway. These two cars have pretty much the same curb weight.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 03:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Get rid of the stock wires also, as far as the vibration goes how are the tires and rims looking?
Are there any special brand of wires I should buy? Or any good wires are fine?

The front tires are Goodyear, the rear are Firestone and have less wear. I think the problem is not the tires or rims. I had unbalanced rims before and certainly know how it feels.

BTW, the gas pedal is also vibrating with the body, does that suggest something?
Old 22 Jul 2010, 06:09 pm
Banned

edb, the vibration suggests that you should replace the plugs and wires. since you have an 03 and with 18,000 miles I'm sure that the plugs have not been changed. That would be fine if you had a newer PT, but in 04 Chrysler put out a TSB to change the gaps on the plugs to 0.040 instead of 0.050 that were on all the PTs until then. You could get by just changeing the gap on the original plugs, but most of the owners I know went ahead and changed the plugs when they had the opportunity. I'd use the stock coppers on yours. They should be fine for the type of driving you do.

I would change the wires at the same time. You could use the "blue" (hp) Chrysler wires or most other "quality" aftermarket wires. MSD, Magnacore, Taylor, Granatelli, etc., etc. would do fine. I don't recommend the stock Chrysler wires.

Also check your air filter.

These things should help the mileage and the vibration in one swell foop.

Jerry
Old 22 Jul 2010, 06:25 pm
Banned

Edb, more concerning the mileage. I know you're obviously aware that they are both 2.4 motors, but also obviously not the same 2.4 motors. The HHR was aimed more at mileage when it was designed. Also tranny gearing comes into play where mileage is concerned. The HHRs are geared for mileage not performance. A stock N/A PT will put it on an HHR EVERY time at the drag strip. It's a matter of record over at The Crew. Also our PTs weigh in at about 3200. The HHRs are about 3000 if I remember right. That's like hauling another person around with you everywhere you go.

Jerry
Old 22 Jul 2010, 06:35 pm
Banned

Edb, also, also, concerning the higher speed part of the vibration really, really sounds like an either out of balance wheel or a tire separation.

You said it might be the muffler causing that. Could you explain that please.

Could you post a picture of your cruiser please?

Jerry
Old 22 Jul 2010, 07:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
Edb, also, also, concerning the higher speed part of the vibration really, really sounds like an either out of balance wheel or a tire separation.

You said it might be the muffler causing that. Could you explain that please.

Could you post a picture of your cruiser please?

Jerry
Hi Jerry:

Thank you for replying my post.

I don't have a digital camera at hand right now, I will upload a pic later.

I first suspected it was the muffler, but changed mind.