PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Difference between fan module and fan assembly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2010, 04:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Difference between fan module and fan assembly?

Will someone PLEASE tell me the difference between the "fan module" and "fan assembly"??????

Everything I've read keep saying they are one and the same. I have also read that the "fan module" is also called the "high and low speed fan relays".

What the hell is going on???? Why is this so difficult? And where can I buy the "fan module", if it is in fact separate from the "fan assembly"? I can't justify paying the money the dealership wants for this part. This is rediculous!!! This shouldn't be this hard.
Old 24 Jul 2010, 04:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Difference between fan module and fan assembly?

Not exactly sure, I think people are just calling things by different names. I would say the "Fan Module" and "fan assembly" are the housing and fan together that you can buy on eBay or auto shops or the dealer. The dealer of course wants the most money.

I've heard that you can buy the motor itself from parts stores like AutoZone. So the module would have to taken out of the car, the motor taken out of it and replaced.

There are members on this forum who have taken the motor out and had it rebuilt or have done it themselves. The brushes (I believe about 5 of them) just burn out and with careful work can be replaced. We've been shown pictures of the brushes several times.

The easiest of course is to buy the "module" itself for round $100 from eBay and replace the whole thing yourself. Under two hours work with the instructions on this forum.

Also on the 2000 to 2005 you have two fan relays (High and Low) both located in the PDC (Power Distribution Center) in the engine compartment. I believe, but not sure, that from 2006 the relays are on the fan itself. On the turbo models, the fan is a variably speed controlled by the computer.

Hopefully someone will come along and verify all that or correct the parts I have wrong.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Jul 2010, 05:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, we have already replaced the entire fan assembly and the thermostat. So why would my car still be overheating? We thought about replacing the high and low fan relays but since the fan seems to be working properly with the a/c on and off then it seems the relays are working too.

Could it be that there is a clog in the coolant system somewhere? We have a 2006 PT non-turbo, by the way. We called Discount Auto Parts and they told me that the two fan relays are dealer parts. I find that hard to believe since they are $7.00 and $10.00 each. Seems like a lot to go through for two fan relays, you know?

What other issue could this be? Any suggestions?
Old 24 Jul 2010, 05:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your could have air trapped in your coolant system. You could have a cracked head or head gasket. You could have a clogged radiator. You could have a water pump that's failed.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Jul 2010, 05:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, the dealership didn't say we had any head problems when they did their diagnostic. They said it was the "fan module". We aren't losing any fluids so I don't think the water pump went (as I've never heard of a water pump going without losing fluids).

The car is only four years old and the coolant we drained out, when replacing the fan assembly, wasn't nasty or full of particles. Do you really think it could be a clog? When the car cools down we are going to try get any trapped air out, if there is any.

So, what do you think? If we replaced what the dealership said to replace and we replaced the thermostat AND the radiator cap and we make sure there is no trapped air in the system (and flush it out if the trapped air thing doesn't work) then what? The fan IS absolutely working and the thermostat IS installed correctly (we double checked it).

We are SUPER frustrated over this so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 24 Jul 2010, 06:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Seeing that the dealership "repaired" the overheating problem, I would return it as I am pretty sure that they have a one year warranty on their parts.
I know you are frustrated, but why go thru throwing parts at a problem which they diagnosed.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 24 Jul 2010, 06:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We didn't let the dealership fix the car. They wanted over $600.00 to fix it and we just didn't have it. So we ordered the fan assembly and replaced it ourselves. We did check the system for trapped air, again, and a little came out and we topped off the radiator with some more coolant. So far so good. We just took it for a test drive and now it's in the driveway, again, waiting to see if it will overheat again. A/C is working better now. We aren't having the problem with it blowing hot air when the car is idling in drive, so that's a plus.

Well, my husband just informed me that everything seems to be okay. The fan is working and it's not overheating!!!! woohoo!!!! I got my PT back!!!!!!! I LOVE my PT Cruiser!!!!

Thanks for all of the help. We really appreciate it!!!!

VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24 Jul 2010, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad for you. Hope it stays that way.

Old 26 Jul 2010, 02:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Glad to see things seem to be working out. It looks like it was air trapped based on reading through the thread.

Just an aside - I had a fairly annoying problem related to the coolant system in my PT Cruiser (Mine happens to be a 2004 limited turbo-lite). Might be worth checking the Engine Coolant Temp sensor.

See this thread for my experience. An OE replacement for like $10 at Autozone fixed this, and it was indeed the part Crewzin references. I just mention it because it wasn't mentioned as being checked.

Whacky temp gauge - SES light