Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Taking the plunge...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Taking the plunge...?

My wife and I have wanted a PT Cruiser for a long while. I have the opportunity to buy a 2004 Touring Edition (it's sort of a gold color) with 84K miles on it for a little over $7500 from a local dealer with a good reputation.

Should I stay away from this year? Any major horror stories? A friend of mine has one and loves it. Another friend says PT Cruisers are problems on wheels. The car itself just feels right to me.

Blue Book says I may be paying too much (but the KBB site seems to be mostly links to cars for sale now). Car drives and handles great. Probably won't put more than 40 miles a day on it most days.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Taking the plunge...?

Welcome to the forum.

There are no years more prone to problems that other years. The big difference was the body style exterior and interior changes that were made in 2006. That's just a matter of taste.

I think you are paying too much for a 6+ year old PT, but that's up to you. I will tell you that at 84K, your just 15K away from a major service (including timing belt, water pump etc.) that usually runs around $1000 give or take a little. Mostly it's labor rate because it takes 5 to 7 hours from someone who knows what they are doing.

Things to have someone look at before you buy are the front suspension including front wheel bearings and let the car idle for at least 20 minutes with the A/C on (should be cold air) and watch the temperature guage. It shouldn't go anywhere past the half way mark.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 10:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

These cars are great if they're taken care of. You're paying too much for it, though. For example, we have a 2007 touring edition right now on our lot with 55k miles for $9,000. That's less than $1500 more than this 2004!

I'd talk them down to around 6k-6500.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 10:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Found another one locally: blue 2004 GT with 68,055 miles on it. I wanted to get away from manual transmissions, but it's $6900. Sitting on the lot after being repo'ed.

That could be the ticket!
Old 26 Jul 2010, 03:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

I really wish my 2004 Limited was a manual.... <3 standards.
Old 26 Jul 2010, 08:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'd go for it. my 03 GT with 40ishK miles about 2 years ago cost me almost $13K

I have an autoStick and wish it were manual. would be alot more fun. but I'm doing good with my auto.

Also depends on what you're looking for, my GT is fun as can be, but milage is a little lower than the NA cause my foot tends to drop a lot quicker than in an n/a. See my sig for my best 1/4 time so far. about to shave off a good bit.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 26 Jul 2010, 11:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Ask the guy to do the timing belt and water pump for you and you'll take the car at that price. If he says no offer him 1500 less. I bought my 04 touring with 44k in mint condition for a lot less than what they're asking, so see how bad he wants to move a car.

As far as them being good or bad, if taken care of it's a really great ride, if neglected it will stick it to you like all cars.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 27 Jul 2010, 05:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBHuckleberry View Post
Found another one locally: blue 2004 GT with 68,055 miles on it. I wanted to get away from manual transmissions, but it's $6900. Sitting on the lot after being repo'ed.

That could be the ticket!
That's a turbo - you'll really like that! If you get it, be sure and use synthetic oil in it.
Offer $6 and don't go above $6,500

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles