Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Turns Signals, warning bells, and fog lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2010, 04:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Turns Signals, warning bells, and fog lights

Hello everyone I am the newbie in this group. I have had my 2001 PT Limited Edition since April 2000. We just celebrated it's 10th birthday. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Situation: Normal sunny day, no lights turned on, when I make a right turn using signal and all operates normally. But when I make a left turn with signal and I get the turn signal flashing (normally) and the fog lights come on. Once it resets after the turn and the shifter goes back to the middle position the lights go out. By making minor changes (or wiggling) the turn leveler you can get the fog lights to go off and on. If you move the leveler up and not all the way into the lock position, the fog lights don't come on.

Another indicator is the warning bell for the lights--- which has stopped working.

Anyone got any ideas... my first idea and this will show you my age... I thought some dirt or trash was crossing over the contacts and I could take the cowling off the steering column and probably fix it with the air compressor --- by just a quick blow out... now that you guys are chuckling is there anything you know of that is likely to be the cause of my problem?

Thanks Again,
Capt Si
Old 27 Jul 2010, 04:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Turns Signals, warning bells, and fog lights

Capt Si, welcome to the forum.

Your main problem is the infamous multi-function stalk. That's the lever that operates the fog lights, turn signals and headlights along with a couple other small things.

The stalk is made with, shall we say, small parts that burn out. Actually, your lucky it lasted this long although mine (Sept 2000) is still working OK but I probably just put a jinx on that.

We have a bunch of "How To's" on the forum and this one will tell you how to replace your own, if you care to do so. The stalk will run you under $100 everywhere except the dealer. Here's the link.

Replace Multifunction Switch w/fog lamps

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Jul 2010, 08:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin'... I have checked with NAPA and they have the part. It's about $72.00. I appreciate your help and Premiere's step by step on how to replace the darn thing... I'm gone ... CaptSi
Old 27 Jul 2010, 09:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSi View Post
Thanks Crewzin'... I have checked with NAPA and they have the part. It's about $72.00. I appreciate your help and Premiere's step by step on how to replace the darn thing... I'm gone ... CaptSi
It's real easy to change out CaptSi...but the dealer wouldn't lead you to believe that..lol I've had 2 different Pt's in a little over a year...1st one crunched beyond repair.... but I had to change the switch on both, neither one had working fog lights when I bought them..
Old 29 Jul 2010, 03:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had a similar problem with my 05 vert. I'd use the directional and the fog lights would come on. Unfortunately they would come on even when not in the car and ran down the battery one night. Then an issue with the top and power windows not working - but found a fix on this forum (disconnect battery 15 min, reconnect and it reset the computer). Now I've just pulled the fuse on the foglights until time to deal with it. Will definately check out replacing the stalk. Thanks for the info!

Tags
fog lights, turn signals, warning bells