PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front Driver's Side Rattle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2010, 02:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front Driver's Side Rattle

Hey everyone!

I have an '02 PT Cruiser and since we took it in for tires and alignment, we are getting a rattling near the front driver's side tire. If we are doing 60 mph or higher and turn right, for curved or arced roads, we hear this rattling down there. The shop that we took it to looked it over for a couple of hours and couldn't find anything. They suggested possibly changing the inner tie rod, but didn't guarantee that it would fix it.

We recently replaced the control arm bushings, as we learned about the obvious manufacturer defect.

The vehicle now has 60,000 miles on it.

If any of you have experienced this and had it fixed, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks and have a great day!

Jeremy
Old 29 Jul 2010, 03:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front Driver's Side Rattle

Jeremy,

There's NO obvious manufacturer defect with the bushings. Owners who had to change them said the same thing about the front wheel bearings yet there's hundreds of us that have NEVER had to replace either one.

As far as your noise. You said they looked for a couple hours but did they take it out on the road? Did you go with them to let them hear it for themselves? They obviously did something if you didn't have the noise before you went to the shop. Take one of them for a ride so they can hear it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 29 Jul 2010, 03:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Not saying this is your problem, but very easy to check -
I had a rattle from the rear - drove me nuts - forum member suggested riding the brake when it was doing it - noise stopped!
Changed the rear pads (I have rear disk) and found the clips had been eaten away allowing the pad to rattle.
Try riding the brake - when were your brakes done last?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Jul 2010, 07:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Jeremy,

There's NO obvious manufacturer defect with the bushings. Owners who had to change them said the same thing about the front wheel bearings yet there's hundreds of us that have NEVER had to replace either one.
I'm going off what the shop told me. They stated that they do over a dozen of those per week and everyone else that I know with one of these cars had to have them replaced too. Perhaps it's an issue in the northern states, where more salt and other chemicals are used on the road. In Minnesota, it's a guarantee that these will go out, per a local Chrysler dealership.
Old 29 Jul 2010, 07:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Not saying this is your problem, but very easy to check -
I had a rattle from the rear - drove me nuts - forum member suggested riding the brake when it was doing it - noise stopped!
Changed the rear pads (I have rear disk) and found the clips had been eaten away allowing the pad to rattle.
Try riding the brake - when were your brakes done last?
I'll definitely check the brakes. The brakes were solid last month, but as hard as we are on them, they could be a bit different. So far, your suggestion makes more sense than any other that I have received.

Thanks for the info and for not being sarcastic about it like the other guy!
Old 30 Jul 2010, 02:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh, my brakes worked fine, the clips on the back corroded away so they were free to rattle - when the piston pushed them to the disk, they worked fine & no rattle - new pads were the cure. I still had pad left on the old ones.
Old 30 Jul 2010, 05:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I removed the caliper and pads and everything is in great shape. I was hoping for a simple fix on this one. Oh well, I appreciate your suggestion though.

I've checked the manuals and it sounds like it could be a bad Outer C/V joint or possibly bad seal there. I'll check that next.

We like this car but have never experienced so many suspension/drive train issues on any of our vehicles before, specially one with only 60,000 miles on it.

Hopefully, it will be riding smooth again soon.

Thanks again!
Old 30 Jul 2010, 10:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysaal View Post
I removed the caliper and pads and everything is in great shape. I was hoping for a simple fix on this one. Oh well, I appreciate your suggestion though.

I've checked the manuals and it sounds like it could be a bad Outer C/V joint or possibly bad seal there. I'll check that next.

We like this car but have never experienced so many suspension/drive train issues on any of our vehicles before, specially one with only 60,000 miles on it.

Hopefully, it will be riding smooth again soon.

Thanks again!
Check the brake caliper for a missing retainer clip. If the right side is not rattling, look at it to see if it has the metal clip is on it - should be on the side facing the wheel - not toward the engine. Then check the left side to if it's missing. I'd lay money on it that this is your problem - very simple fix as the clip just snaps into place. Also check the brake caliper pins on the back side (facing the engine) to see if it's loose or missing.
Old 01 Aug 2010, 11:33 pm
Young Cruiser

You said that you replaced the tires...
I have seen this happen many times. The tire shop only hand tightens the lug nuts after they replace the tire and forget to tighten them down. I actually stopped a woman in a mercedes because I saw her tire flopping. She heard the noise, but didnt know what it was.