Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Predicament

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jul 2010, 12:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation PT Predicament

Hello everyone! First time forum user, long time fan of the cruiser. Here's my dilemma: I'm 15 years old and have found my dream cruiser online for an AMAZINGLY low price. My parents have told me that I'll be able to buy my first car when I turn 16 (which is in 10 months ) I'm afraid that by then, the car will be gone (It's on Craigslist and currently resides at a used car dealership)! What should I do?! Oh, also, they don't know that I like PT Cruisers yet.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 06:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Predicament

Welcome to the forum.

That "amazingly" low price might be the signal that something is wrong. Talk to your parents and if they are OK with you buying the car a bit early, see if they know a trusted mechanic that can look over the PT before you put any money down. Also see if there's any service records or history of the car. There's a report called CARFAX that will tell you the work that's been done at any authorized dealer, but it's not the whole story.

I don't mean to scare you off but a used car has to be looked at carefully. Do you know what the mileage on the PT is? If it's high, near 100,000 miles, a major service costing somewhere around $1000 is due so count that in as money that needs to be put out very shortly. Many owners sell or trade the PT right before that service is due.

Good luck.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 11:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum.

That "amazingly" low price might be the signal that something is wrong. Talk to your parents and if they are OK with you buying the car a bit early, see if they know a trusted mechanic that can look over the PT before you put any money down. Also see if there's any service records or history of the car. There's a report called CARFAX that will tell you the work that's been done at any authorized dealer, but it's not the whole story.

I don't mean to scare you off but a used car has to be looked at carefully. Do you know what the mileage on the PT is? If it's high, near 100,000 miles, a major service costing somewhere around $1000 is due so count that in as money that needs to be put out very shortly. Many owners sell or trade the PT right before that service is due.

Good luck.
It does have Carfax, however it's not available on the dealership website. I'll have to email them and ask them to show me it. The price is good because of the high milage, you're right, but they would have had to have done the maintenence already. Right now, it has 120k on it. That's a pretty moderate amount for a 2003 GT (Which it is) and it's only about $3995.

I'll have to look into a mechanic looking at it. Thank you for the help
Old 31 Jul 2010, 12:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBlood66 View Post
It does have Carfax, however it's not available on the dealership website. I'll have to email them and ask them to show me it. The price is good because of the high milage, you're right, but they would have had to have done the maintenence already. Right now, it has 120k on it. That's a pretty moderate amount for a 2003 GT (Which it is) and it's only about $3995.

I'll have to look into a mechanic looking at it. Thank you for the help
Some belts might even make it to that time you never know...Like the Wise Man Crewzin said make sure to have someone look at it first just don't take their word, and check out that carfax....I do like your choice for a 1st car.....I just replaced my totaled one in April with another PT, and there's lots of Pt's out there if this one doesn't work out. It only took me 3 weeks to find my new baby 5 hours away, but she was worth it...
Old 31 Jul 2010, 01:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Had a timing belt break at 123,000 miles so unless there is documentation that it has been done don't bet on it.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 04:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

120k miles is not moderate by any means. It's quite high for a 2003, especially considering the the average annual mileage driven in the states is 12k, which puts 2003's, on average, around 84k miles.

120k miles is when Chrysler recommends replacing the timing belt. Most people on here, I believe, do it around 100k. If there's no specific service record indicating that the belt has been replaced, walk away from the car. You'll be getting yourself into a very expensive repair right off the bat.
Old 01 Aug 2010, 11:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Best advice is to have it checked out by mechanic. If the price is too good to be true then it probably has a problem. Even after you have it checked, there might be a few problems that they didn't find. I drove mine for 600 miles before I found out that I was missing a thermostat and the crankshaft position sensor was bad.
Old 02 Aug 2010, 10:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

i had a 2002 base pt with 136.000 miles and never did timming belt .was still running good when i traded it in for my 2004 dream cruiser guess i got lucky .if belt was not done ,going to be costly
Old 03 Aug 2010, 07:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If anything, prices are going DOWN, not up.
Prices will be lower in a year.
That is not a steal for an '03 w/120,000 miles.
I will bet timing belt was NOT done, and if it's an auto, that tranny fluid is original.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Tags
parents, sixteen, young