PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT troubles P3040 but great forum so no panic

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jul 2010, 01:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default PT troubles P3040 but great forum so no panic

The last couple of days I have been driving all over the Island mostly for business reasons. I noticed the last few days the PT just didn't feel right and I'm very in tune with my cars I learn every sound and quirk they have, it's almost like they become an extension of myself. I sometimes drive with the radio off just to hear what the engine is saying.

So I'm driving from Queens earlier and I'm in the never ending long Island bumper to bumper traffic and I have my two kids with me and beep goes the engine light. At first it seemed alright but than it bucked a few times and would buck now and than but I drove slow and made it home. It was almost funny well sort of after I made it home, because after reading the forum so much as soon as I had the bucking I told my son that I think I have a P3040 camshaft sensor problem. And sure enough did the key dance at home and pop goes the P3040 which I'm somewhat relieved because money is tight and I can do this one myself, thanks to the forum and guys like crewzin and others who take so much time to answer questions.

This could have been bad because I usually go up state to the mountains but this year it most likely ain't happening do to unforeseen family expenses.

This has been a good little vehicle for me so far, since February I have put about 11000 miles on it without a even the slightest problem till now. Will pick up the part from the dealer on Monday.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 31 Jul 2010, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT troubles P3040 but great forum so no panic

So you are saying "You like the PT,eh". That is why all of us are here on the Forum just to help each other!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 31 Jul 2010, 02:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
So you are saying "You like the PT,eh". That is why all of us are here on the Forum just to help each other!!!!
Yeah I love the little beast, if she got better MPG she would be perfect. Just glad I have this forum so I don't have to get soaked by the dealer.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 31 Jul 2010, 03:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

For me on Monday and future Pt'ers

Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* Pliers
* Socket wrench (8 mm)
* Shop towel
* Replacement camshaft position sensor (with gasket)
* Torque wrench

Step 1

Let your engine cool for at least 30 minutes. Open the hood, and loosen the nut from the negative (black) battery cable. Slip the cable away from the battery terminal.
Step 2

Unfasten the air intake clamps, and loosen the screw on the hose clamp. Remove the top of the air intake assembly and remove the filter. Keep the filter covered and in a clean area.
Step 3

Lift the bottom portion of the air intake box, and set it aside. The bottom portion is attached by clips; pull the box up to detach the clips and separate the box from its mount.
Step 4

Push the red tab (on the camshaft sensor harness) toward the camshaft sensor. Press the connection tab, and pull the harness to unhook it from the camshaft sensor.
Step 5

Remove the two camshaft sensor mounting bolts with the socket wrench. Lift the old sensor from the engine bay, and discard it.
Step 6

Clean the mounting point with a dry shop towel. Insert the new gasket into the new camshaft sensor and mount it. Tighten the bolts to 13 Nm (115 inch-pounds). Reconnect the camshaft harness, and pull the red tab back in place.
Step 7

Snap on the bottom portion of the air intake box. Install the filter and replace the cover. Reattach the air intake hose to the box and tighten the screw.

Read more: How to Fix the Camshaft Sensor on a PT Cruiser | eHow.com How to Fix the Camshaft Sensor on a PT Cruiser | eHow.com

Old 31 Jul 2010, 04:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Great job and great write-up Dino.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 08:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Great job and great write-up Dino.
Well didn't do the job yet the dealer was closed already at 12 on Saturday, but thanks to your great pictures and the information on this forum, it should be easy.......I hope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CamshaftPS.jpg (54.7 KB, 31 views)

Old 01 Aug 2010, 11:40 pm
Young Cruiser

I had the same problem and had to replace the sensor. I was 20 miles from home when it happened and I hit every light on the way.=(
Took me like half a block to reach 35MPH because It would buck everytime I hit the gas slightly.

Sometimes I hate new cars because of the computer. Wish cars were like my mustang where you can actually see the ground through the engine compartment.
Old 02 Aug 2010, 07:35 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackMATTr View Post
I had the same problem and had to replace the sensor. I was 20 miles from home when it happened and I hit every light on the way.=(
Took me like half a block to reach 35MPH because It would buck everytime I hit the gas slightly.

Sometimes I hate new cars because of the computer. Wish cars were like my mustang where you can actually see the ground through the engine compartment.

I feel your pain on the bucking and computers. I was lucky mine didn't buck all that much as long as I kept the gas smooth.

Well off to the car dealer after I finish my coffee.

Old 02 Aug 2010, 11:06 am
Senior Cruiser

OK so I ran up to my favorite dealer Merrick Dodge Chrysler in Wantagh and they had the part in stock for cheaper than the Internet at $30.15 so that was good. I don't know how good if they're at repairs but they have a great parts department.

Since I have an Airaid cold air intake I most likely could have put the part in and out without removing the intake but I wanted to clean it out anyway.

So removed the air intake after disconnecting the negative battery cable first, the bottom piece pulls out with some force so just pull up hard.

Cleaned area, and removed electrical connection from sensor. It has two clips one is a blue one and a red one, slide the blue one to unlock it and than press the red one and you can pull it off.

Remove the two 8mm bolts holding the sensor and remove sensor and clean area again.

Install the new OEM sensor after installing new gasket on it and reinstall bolts and tighten with torque wrench to 115 inch pounds, if you don't have a torque wrench I don't think it's critical just don't gorilla it on, somewhat tighter than snug is the right spot.

Re-install the electric connector and don't forget to lock/slide the blue clip. Reinstall the air intake and negative battery cable and your good to go.

After going for a test run all seems great. PT running top notch again. My PT actually showed symptoms before this happened. It seemed to be shifting funny and always seem to be ever so sluggish. While this was going on the engine light didn't come on yet. It wasn't till a long ride that the problem became bad enough that the engine light went on and the car started bucking. Well shes fixed and when she cools off I'm changing the oil and filter. Royal Purple oil and a K&N filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0041.jpg (87.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0045.jpg (95.1 KB, 24 views)

Old 19 Apr 2012, 10:40 am
Cool Cruiser

2003 Dream Cruiser 2 with 70,000 miles. I've had the car 3 years and this is my first issue with car other then the sunroof stop working.

Was on my way to play some golf yesterday and my car started sputtering. My buddy thought I was messing with him. I pulled into a gas station turned off the car looked around. I drove slow and luckily made our tee time and home without any other issue. lol I checked the code and it's P0340. Is this something I should fix right away? I guess I should drive slow and call the warranty place and see if it's covered if not about how much would it cost to have a mechanic do it (not shop) . I've noticed lately when driving in the auto shift mode sometimes when I'm stopped it's still in 2nd gear. Now is that the same cam sensor issue or another problem? I just filled up and changed to mobil 1 oil but that shouldn't have caused any issue. Also I was having battery issues so I charged it and seems better now. The stereo sometimes cuts out so maybe I have a bad wire?

thanks for this thread.

Last edited by ew55; 19 Apr 2012 at 10:45 am.