Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My 03 Limited has no cabin air filter!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2010, 02:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default My 03 Limited has no cabin air filter!!

I bought this 03 Limited Edition last month, and think it's a good idea to replace the cabin air filter. So bought one from eBay at $13. But when I opened the hood, I was surprised to see no filter was there.

I heard no filter was installed out of factory on newer PTs, but it seems they started doing that back to 2003.

I am just curious how much cost can they save on the filter?
Old 01 Aug 2010, 03:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My 03 Limited has no cabin air filter!!

I could be wrong but I don't think the cabin air filter came on any of the PT's. Maybe as you say in the newer PT's but I haven't heard anyone talk about it.

It's not just the filter that Chrysler saved money on. As the years went on, Chrysler did away with the vanity cover on the engine, the alarm switch in the engine compartment, the passenger door key lock, The cargo net and the rear shelf and some of the lights in some of the switches in the interior. A couple other things I can't think of right now.

Each item cost only a few cents to a couple dollars but when you add them up to the amount of PT's built, it adds up.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Aug 2010, 04:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think the cabin air filter came on any of the PT's. Maybe as you say in the newer PT's but I haven't heard anyone talk about it.

It's not just the filter that Chrysler saved money on. As the years went on, Chrysler did away with the vanity cover on the engine, the alarm switch in the engine compartment, the passenger door key lock, The cargo net and the rear shelf and some of the lights in some of the switches in the interior. A couple other things I can't think of right now.

Each item cost only a few cents to a couple dollars but when you add them up to the amount of PT's built, it adds up.
One correction. They never did away with the rear shelf. My 2010 has one.
Old 01 Aug 2010, 04:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your probably right Chris, but I thought I heard on this forum that they stopped putting them in the Base model whereas I know all the 3 models (Base, Touring and Limited) all had the rear shelf when they first came out.

Plus a heck a lot of owners came here to the forum looking for a shelf but that could have been 2nd or 3rd owners that for some reason didn't get the shelf when they bought used.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Aug 2010, 06:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
One correction. They never did away with the rear shelf. My 2010 has one.
My 05 base didn't have one. I had to step up to another trim level to get it.
Old 01 Aug 2010, 07:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks.

Old 01 Aug 2010, 09:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

That explains it, then. The base model isn't even available for 2010, which I guess is why I have the shelf.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 12:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
If the car would have cost $20 more than what I bought it for, I would have still bought it. Just give me the good stuff!
Old 08 Nov 2010, 08:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Where would this filter be located if there was one? I'm new here so if my question is weird...bare with me!
Also, I notice when I run the heater/air fan..( no heat/or some heat) I can smell exhaust..I know this can't be normal...anyone else ever experience this?
Would this have anything to do with a plugged cabin filter if there was one?
BTW, I have an 01 Limited...I've only had it for 3 wks. Just found this site...I'm AMAZED how much great info and how many people are so interested in this car....Gotta love it!
Old 08 Nov 2010, 09:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No cruiser came equipped with the filter. The holder is there but it's empty. It's under the cowl on the passenger side. You open the hood and have to take off both sides of the cowl to reach where the filter is. It shouldn't have anything to do with the smell of exhaust because the filter would only filter incoming air from the front of the car when the HVAC control is pointed towards outside air.

After saying that, if you have an exhaust leak right at the exhaust manifold, that would make it up to the air intake through the engine compartment.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 08 Nov 2010 at 09:17 pm.