Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
%*@# low riding bumper!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2010, 09:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default %*@# low riding bumper!

I parked over one of those cement barriers that are at the end of a parking space... when I backed out, my front bumper caught on a piece of rebar sticking out of the top of it and pulled my bumper off on the left side. The plastic cracked/split where it attaches to the metal fender. As a result, the whole side is loose.

Can this be repaired without replacing the entire bumper? Anyone know?

I have cursed this lowered front end (mine is factory, not extra lowered) many times, none more than now. I am so tired of it getting scraped and caught on these things.

Old 02 Aug 2010, 04:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: %*@# low riding bumper!

There is a metal tab with 2 studs in there some where.
It looks like you broke the part of the bumper that attaches to it.
The fender part looks ok but the bumper is not looking good.
It may be easier to go and get a junker bumper.
You could try to glue it.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.

Last edited by chigger_ns; 02 Aug 2010 at 04:56 am.
Old 02 Aug 2010, 07:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Ouch, that sucks enough to ruin your week.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 02 Aug 2010, 08:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePTGirl View Post
... I am so tired of it getting scraped and caught on these things.
Believe me I feel your pain. When my car was rolling off the trailor to be inspected (is a restored R Title vehicle) the front bumper scrapped on the tralor itself so the bottom of the bumper is all scratched up. Not to mention that I also live in PA so those of you who have ever driven in PA know how bad our roads are.
Old 02 Aug 2010, 08:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well, I went to the auto body shop today and got an estimate of $1000. That just seems ridiculous. I am going to check another one or two and see if someone cant repair this bumper. It seems like a couple of bolts would put it to rights. They did screw it back on, but it isnt lined up right and you can see the damage if you look (but you would have to be looking for it). I should have opened an auto body shop instead of getting my master's degree as a therapist--they sure rake in the bucks!
Old 02 Aug 2010, 09:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePTGirl View Post
Well, I went to the auto body shop today and got an estimate of $1000. That just seems ridiculous. I am going to check another one or two and see if someone cant repair this bumper. It seems like a couple of bolts would put it to rights. They did screw it back on, but it isnt lined up right and you can see the damage if you look (but you would have to be looking for it). I should have opened an auto body shop instead of getting my master's degree as a therapist--they sure rake in the bucks!

Maybe you can find an auto shop person with issues and work out a barter deal. 1000 does seem insane

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03 Aug 2010, 06:21 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: %*@# low riding bumper!

Hey their PurplePTGirl,

Sorry to hear about your bumper.

I think they are a bit high as well, though not by a whole lot to be honest.

What they are looking at is a new OEM replacement bumper at a cost of around $400.00 - $450.00, labor to hang and gap the new bumper, and $300.00 worth of waterborne paint and supplies. So more realistically you could be looking at a cost of around $700.00 - $750.00 to replace and fix everything with new.

From the looks of it unless I am missing something, it doesn't look like to me from the pic's at least that you need much more than to push your bumper back in and maybe add either a new screw, or bolt and flat washer from the inside edge to hold your bumper back in place which if that is the case, should be a pretty simple and straight forward fix you should be able to more or less do yourself without having to do the whole body shop thing for now.

At least that is my two cents. I wish you the best of luck, and please let me know if I might be of any more help.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 09 Aug 2010, 12:43 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Hey their PurplePTGirl,

Sorry to hear about your bumper.

I think they are a bit high as well, though not by a whole lot to be honest.

What they are looking at is a new OEM replacement bumper at a cost of around $400.00 - $450.00, labor to hang and gap the new bumper, and $300.00 worth of waterborne paint and supplies. So more realistically you could be looking at a cost of around $700.00 - $750.00 to replace and fix everything with new.

From the looks of it unless I am missing something, it doesn't look like to me from the pic's at least that you need much more than to push your bumper back in and maybe add either a new screw, or bolt and flat washer from the inside edge to hold your bumper back in place which if that is the case, should be a pretty simple and straight forward fix you should be able to more or less do yourself without having to do the whole body shop thing for now.

At least that is my two cents. I wish you the best of luck, and please let me know if I might be of any more help.

The auto body shop sort of did that for a temp fix, but it doesn't really line up well and you can now see a gap under the headlight. I thought maybe I should just buy one of those bra thingies and cover it all up (would cost less!)
Old 09 Aug 2010, 06:05 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: %*@# low riding bumper!

Hey PurplePTGirl,

If I might make a goof suggestion, a lot of times Aftermarket places like PTeazer, or ODaddyO might have some left over front and rear ends that were taken off when people bought new aftermarket parts, and they might be willing to sell you these parts cheaper than you buying them elsewhere. I have heard maybe as cheap as $100.00 or so before. Its worth a shot anyways. Here is the phone numbers for both PTeazer, and ODaddyO.

A Link to Ray at PTeazer:
PTEAZER - Your Source For PT Cruiser Parts, PT Cruiser Aftermarket Parts, PT Cruiser Accessories, PT Cruiser Conversions, PT Cruiser Modifications and Panel Conversions

or call Ron at ODaddyO: (949) 295-4618

or try Mitch over at Cruiser Motor Sport as well. Here is a Link to his Website as well.

Cruiser Motor Sports

At any of the places please be sure to tell them tell them Candyman sent you, and see what they might have around their Shop. You never know, they just might be able to hook you up with something easy and affordable, and then if you need someone to hang it, and maybe paint it within reason, look me up and I might be able to see what I can do as well since I'm not too far from you as well. Something to look into anyways. Please let me know how it works out and we can go from their.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 10 Aug 2010, 07:49 am
Young Cruiser

BUMPER COVER chrysler PTCRUISER 01-04 front primed top: eBay Motors (item 230503215913 end time Aug-23-10 14:29:53 PDT)

just seen it its $35 can't beat that