Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Main Computer Going OUT!?! HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2010, 03:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Main Computer Going OUT!?! HELP!

my girlfriend has a white 2001 PT cruiser. when she starts it up the RPMs will go way up, it accelerates and decelerates by itself and then it will die or die randomly at a stop light. sometimes it wont even start and sometimes it will start up with no problem. she has been to several places to have it fixed and everyone tells her different. one place made her pay 250 for a new "used" computer and when i installed it the car wouldnt even turn over. luckily she was able to take it and get her money back. so what do you all think? need help asap!
Old 02 Aug 2010, 03:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Main Computer Going OUT!?! HELP!

Welcome to the forums.
Not much to go on....
Check engine light come on? If so, get the code(s):
How to retrieve fault codes.

Were plugs and wires changed?
How many miles?
Does it do it with or without A/C on?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Aug 2010, 07:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes the check engine light does come on everytime it is started. the A/C works most of the time but when it starts messing up it quits working.. it has about 97.000 miles on it.. and nope the plugs and wires havent been changed since she owned it. the codes im not sure, auto places just tell her they think it's the main computer.
Old 02 Aug 2010, 07:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Very strong possibility the plugs and wires are way overdue.

I had a code on the 02 cruiser after we first got it with only 39,000 miles that said bad pcm. It would crank and run fine but every time I cleared the code out it would come back.
Had to get a new one from the Dealer , installed and REPROGRAMMED??? for $500. But the code didn't come back and thought it was expensive but problem was fixed.

I have one of those inexpensive (($149) at the time there are cheaper versions out now)) ACTRON code readers, Best money I spent on an automotive part and agree that EVERYONE who owns a vehicle needs one in a glove box. Its paid for itself 100s of times over amongst, my vehicles, friends, relatives and anyone else who wants to borrow it.

Autozone checks the codes for free. But what if your out of town, or no where near an autopart store??

Last edited by clark6; 02 Aug 2010 at 07:48 pm.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 12:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

alright.. like i mentioned one place sold her a used computer and said have it reprogrammed but chrysler wont do it bc the vin number wont match her car and said its not possible.. not auto place can get a NEW computer but they can have hers rebuilt. what do you suggest?
Old 03 Aug 2010, 02:07 am
Young Cruiser

Well the computer has to be programmed with the vin of the car and the key. It would be best to have it done at the dealer. They should be able to program the computer with the vin. I don't know why they can't.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 05:40 am
Young Cruiser

Looks like the Chrysler dealer is the only option for you at this point, I was just giving you a ball park figure of the price. They will keep your Bad PCM as a core charge for the New one. As in saying they Cant reprogram a different one or that its NOT possible, I really doubt that, they just don't WANT to. With all the technology of today that SHOULD be possible.

Remember they have to make their money they cant make it by you buying cheaper parts elsewhere for them to install. You would have to know a friend of a friend. Now Please forgive me if I'm wrong on all of this thinking this way.

As for the autopart store......I was only suggesting to buy yourself an Actron Code reader so you can plug it in under your dash/steering wheel area to read engine codes off any vehicles that you own from 1995-2008 Maybe later year vehicles so if it happens in the future you would have a ballpark Idea the next time where to look for a problem.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 06:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Get the codes, then you know what you're dealing with.
At 97,000 miles, looking at needing a timing belt soon.
I'd immediately replace wires and plugs, since the wires are a known weak spot - don't buy stock wires, they are crap - RaceAndStreet has Mopar performance wires. Gap plugs at 0.040.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 12:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

alright guys thanks. we're gonna set up an appointment at a dealership and they will plug it into the computer they have. for 87 dollars. then tell us whats wrong and that it will cost alot more to fix it. dang dealerships lol
Old 03 Aug 2010, 05:55 pm
Young Cruiser

I would drive up to Autozone and say" My engine light is on, will you check it for me to see if I need to buy a part?"

should be free of charge, Not $87.

Then you will know what direction to go in.

If you had it at another shop its pretty sure that they probably did the same thing. I went or called on the phone to the dealer and said my Pcm is showing code......... he told me then I need a new computer and with my core charge for the old computer was $500 including installation.

$87 You could buy your own code reader for like $99. Ive seen some for $79 Wal-mart has a smaller ODB-2 reader for like $49.

I'd go to the free Autozone store first (if you have one in the area) to get a specific on the code then talk to a dealership, but it's up to you.