PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Paint Job

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Aug 2010, 09:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default New Paint Job

Hello All,

I wanted to ask the ontario members if any of them had had thier cruiser repainted and how much it costs, and where you got it done.

I am going to go with a two tone paint job, electric blue with metalic flakes on the bottom, either silver or canary yellow with the metalic flakes on the top sort of like the dream cruisers.

If anyone has done anything simmilar i'd love to see pictures, even any other two tone paint jobs with flakes.

Here's a picture

Eibach Lowering Springs
3 Inch Exhaust (Straight Piped)
Lots Red Powerder Coating
Xenon Front Bumper
PTeazer Roll Pan
Billet Upper Grille
HID High and Low Beams (8000k/55w)
HID Fogs (3000k/35w)
Altezza Tail Lights (carbon fibre look alikes)
Leather Neon RT Front Seats
Audio Build is Currently Under Construction.

Last edited by JaxCruzzer; 02 Aug 2010 at 09:47 pm. Reason: switch picture
Old 02 Aug 2010, 09:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: New Paint Job

i have a 2004 dream cruiser with factory 2 tone blue and silver
Old 03 Aug 2010, 01:26 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: New Paint Job

Hey their JaxCruzzer,

Sounds like you have some big plans for your ride. As far as cost of paint, it would be far less expensive to utilize your silver and add a second tone in contrast rather than go with a total respray. The reason being whenever you do a complete respray or full color change to do it right, you need to fully dis-assemble the car including removing the doors, hood, trunk, preferably the glass, and interior so you can shoot inside the door jambs, under hood, and so on. The more dis-assembly,the more cost time and labor.

Another thing to maybe keep in the back of your head when thinking of doing a two tone is that it is that in most circumstances it is best to add either a contrasting pin stripe of other type of small simple graphic to help break the line between the two colors. Depending on your final color scheme, your painter should be able to offer some suggestions to maybe kick around. To give you a good example, here are a couple of pics of my Ride which I resprayed in House of Kolor Kandy Tangerine Pearl over a silver metallic base, followed by a black base on the flames then followed by 4 hues of ice pearl and micro flake, then a deep brandy wine drop shadow, and hand pin stripe from red to orange. Anyways, here are those pics of my baby for ya. Always keep in mind the possibilities are endless.

Cost wise, if I were shooting just a second tone over your stock silver, you would be looking at around $2300.00 - $2500.00 plus which would cover all of the prep work, 4 coats of waterborne acrylic enamel base with micro flake, or ice pearl, or you name it, followed by 4 coats of a big time ultra hard acrylic urethane clear I like to use which provides great protection while allowing for a way smooth high gloss finish when its all said and done. Pretty much the same thing for a full respray as well only more labor intensive, and at a higher overall cost.

If you are into adding some cool microflake or something, or pearl, or something to make the new paint pop a little bit more in direct sunlight, their are a lot of cool paint systems like their like House of Kolor for example which I use and recommend at least from my own experience, for their Candy paints which are basically transparent so any type of base with flake or whatever type of base you decide to go with will show through very nice, and most any Kandy Paint will make many colors much more rich and vibrant over just looking at going with a stock paint.

Another Company that makes really cool and different paints is the Also Corp. Here are Links to both House of Kolor as well as the Alsa Corp for you to look through.

HouseofKolor.com online shopping from the worldwide leader in the paint and coatings industry.

Alsa Corp | The World's Most Exotic Paints and Finishes

Something interesting and different at least.

Go easy, good luck on your ongoing project, if you should ever have anymore questions, please feel free to ask anytime, and we can take it from their.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing

Last edited by Candyman; 03 Aug 2010 at 01:53 pm.
Old 05 Aug 2010, 08:28 am
Regular Cruiser

Thank you very much Candyman, very very informative.

I think what I am going to do is just do the electric blue with flakes on the bottom 1/2 of the car.

Where abouts are you located?
Eibach Lowering Springs
3 Inch Exhaust (Straight Piped)
Lots Red Powerder Coating
Xenon Front Bumper
PTeazer Roll Pan
Billet Upper Grille
HID High and Low Beams (8000k/55w)
HID Fogs (3000k/35w)
Altezza Tail Lights (carbon fibre look alikes)
Leather Neon RT Front Seats
Audio Build is Currently Under Construction.
Old 06 Aug 2010, 04:12 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Smile Re: New Paint Job

Hey their Jax,

I am located out in So Cal about an hour from LA unfortunately, so I am a ways from you.

Sounds like you got the plan set out for going with a dark blue for the second tone right? If so, that will look pretty cool, though if I were doing it, I usually like to try to get more of a splash of color that would give things a bit more pop which to me would tend to give it a cooler more "wow" factor over just going with a more subtle OEM color, but that's just me.

You can really do a lot of different things over your stock silver to make it totally look like a different car. For example, instead of doing a simple second tone, you could opt to do some custom graphics like scallops,

Or a fade into a nice shade of blue, and could even add some optional contrasting colors like this one,

Or any number of different variations.

Here is another PT with your dark blue as the lower tone over your silver but with a blueish purple pearl tint added over the silver which looks fairly decent as well.

As I had mentioned above, when going for a 2 tone paint scheme, it is always a good idea to have either a pin stripe, or small graphic to help break the two colors up. Here is a great example on one of Ray's PT's from PTeazer he had done for SEMA one year. Its just a simple and tastefully done flame lick with a semi strong 2 tone color again over the stock silver base.

Or even on mine, I opted for House of Kolor Black Diamond as a base color, and then added silver, Gold, Copper, and Gunmetal Grey micro flake to make the flames pop, then added a deep brandy wine drop shadow, followed by a hand pin stripe transitioning from orange to red as you follow the flames across the hood. Here is a closer pic of the effect.

Its really basically up to whatever your imagination can com up with. Weather you opt to lay down just a 2 tone, or a custom graphic, for the most part the cost will be about the same. Their will be more labor in laying down a graphic like flames or scallops and so on, but less paint so it balances out.

Should you opt for a cool graphic though, here are a couple of things I always try my best to convey to people before proceeding with custom paint.

1. When ever you are looking at doing any kind of custom paint, always ask yourself if you are going to do custom paint for you to enjoy, or for re-sale. To give you a prime example of what i mean, my dad bought an older El Camino and had me redo it. He wanted me to paint it the same stock colors it had on it originally which was not the most appealing by any means. I explained that by going this route, it would be much harder to ever sell if he chose to do so, and it might be a better option to go with a more appealing satin black over either brandy wine, or cobalt blue candy, which would have drawn more attention, and most likely brought a quick sale and higher price over the first option. Unfortunately, my dad chose to do it all original, and then opted to sell it after, and it is still up for sale a year later at half the money he put into it. So it is very important to weigh your options carefully and think about what you want out of your custom paint work. Here is a not very flattering pic.

2. If you opt to do custom graphics, it is always beneficial to sit down and talk with your painter and get some feedback rather than walk in with a set plan. Most custom painters have done a ton of custom paint work and have a good handle on what might look good, and what might not. If you walk in and tell a painter you want flames that look like a watermelon (actually seen it) they will paint flames that look like a watermelon. On the other hand, if you come in with a general idea on what you are looking for, and then get the painters input, you more often than not can come up with a way cool design that can wow people, and really look cool. My ride is a good example of taking a good design with minimal paint and making something that really stands out, and gets compliments all the time.

As for a nice color combo, here is an old friends of mines PT with a tribal flame layout done in a nice shade of blue which worked really well over the stock silver base.

Anyways, again, that is my two cents anyways. If you have any more questions on custom paint work, please feel free to ask me anytime and I am always more than happy to try to help anytime.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Last edited by Candyman; 06 Aug 2010 at 04:14 am.
Old 06 Aug 2010, 11:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Candyman, you are sick!!
Old 07 Aug 2010, 01:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzersc View Post
Candyman, you are sick!!
Just another victim of the mod bug, lol.

You'll be next!
Old 07 Aug 2010, 04:28 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Talking Re: New Paint Job

Hey Fezz,

I thank you! You Guys are way lucky you don't live near by me or your guyz' PT's would so fall prey to my torch and spray gun for a little shaped and molded, twisted steel and sex appeal at the hands of my insane mad scientist ways! Muhuhahahahaha!!!

Next thing you know it would be totally abducted, chopped, sectioned, dropped, smoothed, suicided, and candyfied beyond all recognition! 808 already knowz just how way twisted this imagination can be theze dayz!!!

Last edited by Candyman; 07 Aug 2010 at 04:33 am.
Old 07 Aug 2010, 06:29 am
Regular Cruiser

I love this pic... it's like the blue isn't even touching the car.

Old 07 Aug 2010, 12:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Hey Fezz,

I thank you! You Guys are way lucky you don't live near by me or your guyz' PT's would so fall prey to my torch and spray gun for a little shaped and molded, twisted steel and sex appeal at the hands of my insane mad scientist ways! Muhuhahahahaha!!!

Next thing you know it would be totally abducted, chopped, sectioned, dropped, smoothed, suicided, and candyfied beyond all recognition! 808 already knowz just how way twisted this imagination can be theze dayz!!!
Hey Candyman: Is that you in the picture with the blue & silver PT?

Here in Arizona, where my cars and truck have to live outdoors, a really nice paint job is a heartbreaker when the clear coat fails. I just repainted the aluminum shell for my truck. I am doing the shell as practice for my truck. The truck is presently peeling off it's first repaint, and I am allowing Ma Nature to do a lot of the prep. (I don't drive it much because it is the single most stolen vehicle model in Arizona due to "border issues.") I finally broke down and bought a DeVilbiss finish line conventional gun, which is my first real paint gun. All my prior work was with an old "331" or a knock-off made in China. The result on the shell, using catalyzed DuPont acrylic enamel is like glass. The base coat is Eastwood epoxy primer, which flows like a dream. I'll be working my way to the fancy stuff for my PT over time.