Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
After 6 months ownership 2008

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2010, 03:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cool After 6 months ownership 2008

I bought the 2008 Stone White Cruiser and I'm loving it with the usual gripes: Poor gas mileage particularly with the A/C (15.5 MPG! I get about 20 in the cooler months) long turning radius, poor backing visibility, air conditioner takes forever to get the car cool but it's been HOT! I hate the cruise control power on which has to be turned on before using. I was used to having my old Cadillac and Chevy S-10 being ready to use because the cruise control came on when the vehicle was started; maybe I'm missing something. I plan on adding a back-up video camera, GPS, and a better stereo along with speakers in the rear inside lift-gate panel. I'm thinking about getting one of those stereos with the built-in disappearing screen if it'll clear the A/C vents! One other minor problem I haven't heard mentioned is wheel spin on launch! Maybe I need different tires but it doesn't take much crowding to light 'em up - Hard to believe with a stock engine and front-wheel drive... Again, am I missing something obvious?

I was looking at the GeForce chip and would like to know if anyone has any input on that; it sounds too good to be true.

I got the standard engine WITHOUT turbo. I'd love to have found one but it was love at first drive and I got a good price on it. The only other thing I wanted was a sunroof. Mine is bottom line I'm guessing. It's ALL white and very little trim but I personally like the simplicity
Old 03 Aug 2010, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: After 6 months ownership 2008

I have not heard of the GeForce chip, and I've been on PT Forums since 2001, so if it was worth it, I'd have heard of it.
You want better mileage?
Get a K&N replacement air filter - costs about $45.
Pump up your tires - on driver's door is a sticker with tire pressures (among other info) - add 2-3 PSI to that.
Put synthetic oil in - better for your engine, too....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Aug 2010, 09:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you and I'll certainly take your immediate advice on the tires and oil! I'm due a change pretty quick anyway. I've got 40k on the odometer; would you have any suggestions which I'd be free to head or ignore as to changing frequency of changes using the synthetic oil?

I got the GeForce information from an ad on this website but I don't seem to be able to find it now.

Except for new-car smell this vehicle is flawless inside and out with nary a chip, ding, or scratch - Take that back - I've got a tiny scratch where I backed into another vehicle crushing a taillight which I had to replace the entire assembly but I bargained for a second-hand unit so it was better and worse than I hoped - $45 delivered and 5 minutes to replace.

Any more comments on back-up cameras or wheel-spin from anyone?
Old 03 Aug 2010, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Website G-Force High Performance Chips at Wholesale Prices

Snake Oil!!!

A PT is a Cruiser, not something you will be able to "punch it up". If you want more speed, power you should have gotten a Turbo stick shift.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 03 Aug 2010, 10:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

As far as wheel spin. You must have nearly worn out tires as the standard engine, while certainly able to spin the tires (been there, done that) it takes all the HP you can manage out of the engine. So you must, as I said, have nearly wron tires or your stomping on the gas pedal way too much.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 12:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for confirming the "Snake oil" suspicions. I'm well satisfied with the power; I was looking for gas mileage! I've been doing all of my driving at sea level and have heard performance drops off dramatically with altitude but at my age - almost 64 - I've learned to take life easy and enjoy the ride. It's not that I'm lazy or slow, I've just learned life is a journey to be savored and haste makes for poor decisions.

On the tires, you may well have a good point there but there's still plenty of tread depth and I can find the wear bar with some difficulty.

On a different point I'm wondering why I need a tachometer? I've wanted one all my life and now that I've got one I find it's about as much use as a side-saddle on a sow! It may be of some use in the future when I make it to the mountains but for now it's just taking up space in my dash. I find the blue "High beam" light distracting at night and have made a translucent plastic cover for it. Red would seem a better choice but that's probably governed by federal regulation... Excuse me please, I've just started on thyroid replacement therapy and the medication has me motor-mouthed.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Wayne (?), I am 71 and on our 3rd PT, we have had a 2002,2006 and now the 2008. I have been well pleased with all of them. As far as gas mileage goes I am happy with 17 -19 town and if you check my Fuelly below you will see I avg 22. On our trip up North this summer we got about 28 -29 a couple of times.
The only thing I have done was to change spark plugs & wires, Airaid air intake, that may have made a difference. I usually drive about 68 on the highway and the two times the mileage was good was when we were in a 55 mph zones. Just learn to enjoy your PT. BTW: I am sitting here after having my 2nd new knee replacement done a month ago.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 03 Aug 2010, 02:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

GMs/Caddys don't have cruise control that automatically turns on when the engine is started. They have a switch on the turn signal stalk that you can leave in the "on" position so cruise is ready all the time.

Every vehicle has an "on/off" switch for cruise control before you can actually use it. I agree that the old GM vehicles with the cruise on the turn signal stalk were nice because you could just leave it on all the time and not worry about it. But having to turn it on every time is not exclusive to the PT.

Also, my a/c cools down the inside within a couple minutes, and it's been approaching 100 degrees here. Try rolling the front windows down for a couple minutes to allow the hot air to escape, and use the recirc button. That should help cool things off.
Old 05 Aug 2010, 08:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: After 6 months ownership 2008

#1.....get aftermarket wires and plugs from Maggie at RaceAndStreet.com
The OEM ones are crap.
#2...open up the breathing if it is a non-turbo.
I put in an AirRaid cold air system. The OEM air box smothers the breathing.
The pedal response is much better in traffic. But, why worry about higher performance if you are already complaining about gas mileage?
My 2006 na gets up to 30 mph highway; without a/c on. Probably 22+ around town.
(lots better than my GT turbo vert)

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!

Tags
back-up video, geforce, wheel spin