PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need advice before I buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2010, 05:42 am
Young Cruiser

Default Need advice before I buy

Hello,
I'm a total newbie. Drove my first PT yesterday. It was an '07 at $6900.Had 93,977, road well and felt good, but it was black and too high mileage for $7K.

Last night I found two PTs at Enterprise. The first was a stripped down model had no air, but was a 5 speed which which I liked. 42K miles for $6,999, was a trade in.
The second car I haven't seen in the sheet metal yet, only online. It's a PT Cruiser Sport 4D FWD. 36,344 miles with a 12k/1 year Powertrain Warrantee for $10,520. It's from a national Rental company and they are bringing to the location I was at from another store in state. The dealer has a 7 day, 1000 mile return for any reason policy.
I'll see the car tonight or tomorrow morning. I don't see ABS or Traction conrol on the list. Besides obvious things, like leaks, using oil etc. What do I need to look for? Lastly, I drive 90 miles a day and my gut says the gas is gonna kill me, but my heart says I'm in love with these cars.

Thanks in advance for your coments and advice.

Matt

Last edited by onemat; 03 Aug 2010 at 05:52 am.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 05:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need advice before I buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemat View Post
The second car I haven't seen in the sheet metal yet, only online. It's a PT Cruiser Sport 4D FWD. 36,344 miles with a 12k/1 year Powertrain Warrantee for $10,520. It's from a national Rental company and they are bringing to the location I was at from another store in state. The dealer has a 7 day, 1000 mile return for any reason policy.
Welcome to the forums, Matt.

What year? There were no PT "sport" models - base, Touring, Limited, "Classic" (another name for base) and GT were the PT models.
$10,520 is way too high.

5-speed is the way to go for gas mileage, and decent performance from a non-turbo PT.

No real problem spots to watch of for - if mileage is up there - close to 100,000 - be sure timing belt was changed, or adjust price by $1,000 for a belt change.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Aug 2010, 06:05 am
Cool Cruiser

From what you found so far - I say, keep looking.
Just be aware it's not high mpg vehicle - so don't buy it for that. I'm averaging 21 with 17 around town at best - I have seen 27 on the road.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 06:37 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Welcome to the forums, Matt.

What year? There were no PT "sport" models - base, Touring, Limited, "Classic" (another name for base) and GT were the PT models.
$10,520 is way too high.

5-speed is the way to go for gas mileage, and decent performance from a non-turbo PT.

No real problem spots to watch of for - if mileage is up there - close to 100,000 - be sure timing belt was changed, or adjust price by $1,000 for a belt change.
Thanks for the response. It's a 2008. No "Sport" makes is a Touring Wagon I guess. I've got a trade in which they have offered above the highest kellybook on. I might be able to get them to drop the price a bit more... What bothers me most is there's no ABS. It's got airbags all over the place so I'm wondering why wouldn't someone order ABS?
Old 03 Aug 2010, 07:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

A lot of PT's didn't come with ABS (mine) and most PT's aren't ordered, they are bought right off the dealers lot they way the dealer ordered them, so you get what you buy.

I'm with Garner49, keep looking. Don't jump on a deal unless you have a good chance to have the car looked at by a mechanic or someone who knows cars. You can get a good deal with previously rented cars but you'd more often than not, get one that's been abused. You take a chance with any used car unless you happen to know the complete history or know the previous owner. There's plenty of used PT's out there. Take your time.

...and unless you really like the heat that's all over the country right now, I would think A/C has to be on the list of things you need.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 09:39 am
Young Cruiser

First of all,
Thanks to all who answered my post. I am going to continue to hunt around. I spoke with the mechanic who always does the work on our cars over a lot of years, as I knew I was drawn to the PT Cruiser and wanted an objective opinion. He said pretty much what you all are saying. Watch for price, get Carfax and other records and make sure if the mileage is higher the timing belt has been done. He also said don't worry about the ABS.
There seems to be a lot of these cars in and around Nashville so I will look at a bunch. One nice thing about Enterprise is you can return the car within 7 days if your find some problems with what you bought. The 12 month/1000 mile drive train warrantee is nice too, of course I haven't read it yet.
I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks,
Matt
Old 03 Aug 2010, 11:48 am
Senior Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

No AC off the list, scratch one. First one mileage too high for that price scratch two. As far as the touring one with low mileage, see if they will drop the price about 1500. And like the guys say keep looking.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03 Aug 2010, 09:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

While some dont like them, try looking up some on carmax.com. They will transfer to your closet store for free (on most unless its to far away then they will charge). They are the largest used car company in the US and offer a huge selection.

While you do pay a little more, theirs are much lower miles, cleaner and better condition than average lots. Another plus is the no haggle price and no pressure from sales people. They will pull the records like carfax but they use AUtocheck (shows as much history if not more) before you buy.

I like them a lot and just bought another PT (2006 limited with 24,000 documented history under 10K) from them for my wife. The local store didnt have the color she wanted but 2 states away did. They transfered (hauler) the one she wanted free, no obligation for her to look at and test drive.

If nothing else you will get a better idea of prices on them this way and stay under them.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 09:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

O
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwing777 View Post
While some dont like them, try looking up some on carmax.com. They will transfer to your closet store for free (on most unless its to far away then they will charge). They are the largest used car company in the US and offer a huge selection.

While you do pay a little more, theirs are much lower miles, cleaner and better condition than average lots. Another plus is the no haggle price and no pressure from sales people. They will pull the records like carfax but they use AUtocheck (shows as much history if not more) before you buy.

I like them a lot and just bought another PT (2006 limited with 24,000 documented history under 10K) from them for my wife. The local store didnt have the color she wanted but 2 states away did. They transfered (hauler) the one she wanted free, no obligation for her to look at and test drive.

If nothing else you will get a better idea of prices on them this way and stay under them.
I also got my PT from Carmax and I'm very happy with it and their service. For 10k you can get a nice Turbo PT.
Old 04 Aug 2010, 07:50 am
Young Cruiser

I paid 4700and after taxes and title fees 5150 for an 03 Gt with a sick looking custom paintjob..61k miles
I looked for months at cars.. Almost bought a 2003 mustang convert v6 garage kept with 64k miles they only wanted 4500...was sold by the time I got the cash together, seller was in financial distress... Craigslist can be scary if you don't know what to look for as far as scams go.. but there are good deals on there. people wanting others to take over payments etc. also autotrader is where i actually found my pt cruiser.. I had to drive 6 hours to miami to look at it/ buy it... but I'll say it was worth it. Seller spoke spanish only.. to talk to him i had to use google translater just to translate to him "I am interested in buying your vehicle please have someone that can speak english call me back at .." That sucked, luckily enough he had a translator there when I was purchasing.

Family has told me that you can check with local banks as well.. alot of smaller banks offer car loans and when they get repo'd they will sit in there bank lot until they decide where it needs to go. So you could speak with a bank about that.

By the way... Ebay has way better prices than dealerships... Helps to have cash if dealing with a person and not a dealer.. seller hears cash and they drop money whenever you spot a flaw when looking at the car...
Dealer however, "nowadays" doesn't really care if its cash, either way they get there money in the end-- finance, cash, or whatever...

You've got newcaritis, be careful. It's easy to overlook something if you really want a pt cruiser, its the only one on the lot, and its your favorite color...disaster lol

GOOD LUCK!