PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Thinking of purchasing a GT.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Aug 2010, 01:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Thinking of purchasing a GT.

Hey all.

A dealer in my area has a 2003 GT automatic with extremely low miles.

Anything in particular I should be on the look-out for when I go see it?

Thanks!
Old 03 Aug 2010, 01:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Thinking of purchasing a GT.

You want to get a good look at the front suspension to included the front wheel bearings. You want to drive it to see if it has all the boost it should have. You want to let it sit, running at idle, for about 15 minutes and keep an eye on the temperature guage. If should go anywhere past the half way mark.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 01:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Exactly how much boost should I be looking for? I've read some specs on these things but I didn't see stock boost pressure listed anywhere.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, maybe I shouldn't have said boost unless one of the Turbo owners comes in and can say exact numbers. Look for good fast acceleration from get-go to almost red line.

Also when your checking out the idle time and temperature guage, make sure it idle nice and smooth the whole time.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Aug 2010, 04:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

With low miles, you should be okay - if you get it, put synthetic oil in it from now on.
Look for smell that might indicate flood damage...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Aug 2010, 07:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

When you test drive it, it should put you back in the seat nicely. I would switch traction control off if you plan to buy it as with it on it will rattle your teeth out from wheel hop.

I've had my 03 GT autostick for 2 years now and no major issues not from my doing. 1 maintenance issue from before my ownership that was fixed the first week

Then there was my motor mount/axle fiasco where I rompedmon the car without turning traction control off.

I broke a motor mount which slammed the engine into the passenger side axle and busted it.

227 HP and 281 TQ

new best of 14.56 1/4 mile on 7/25/12 still using the canned tune from my diablosport predator.

*Stage 1, DSP w/93 canned tune, 3" o2 housing, 3" FWDPerformance downpipe with cutout. Bwoody solid mounts. AMX1397 TTAB with K&n drop in filter and airbox mod. AMX1397 lower pipe and AMX1397 uppipe with HKS BOV
* stock nsrt rims powdercoated black, chrome pillars.
* 3 gauge pod w/ aem wideband, Autometer ultralite oil pressure and 30/30 boost, Mopar 8" sub.*

Old 03 Aug 2010, 09:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ok I have 2 PT's both 2003,, one is a GT 43k miles very quick -a blast to drive.(Diablo Prediator Tune,drop in filter other PT- non turbo 83k miles,,big difference in power,,but as daily driver fine.How many miles? any records? Get under it,,pay someone to check it out- worth it if ok//price? If its ok you will love the GT..good luck..MJB
Old 04 Aug 2010, 10:17 am
Cool Cruiser

I haven't actually been out to the lot to see it yet... just found it on the internet.

It shows about 27,000 miles... which is insanely low for a 7 year old car. Must have been someone's summer car. From the pics I've seen the engine bay is stock and unmolested, which is good as I am wary of buying modded tuner cars.

The dealer is asking $8500 for it, which I think is a little high but if the vehicle is as clean as they claim and the mileage is accurate I don't mind paying more. To find anything with a turbo and low miles for under $10k is unheard of as it is.
Old 04 Aug 2010, 02:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineMan View Post
I haven't actually been out to the lot to see it yet... just found it on the internet.

It shows about 27,000 miles... which is insanely low for a 7 year old car. Must have been someone's summer car. From the pics I've seen the engine bay is stock and unmolested, which is good as I am wary of buying modded tuner cars.

The dealer is asking $8500 for it, which I think is a little high but if the vehicle is as clean as they claim and the mileage is accurate I don't mind paying more. To find anything with a turbo and low miles for under $10k is unheard of as it is.
you kidding me thats a good deal for 27k mi. im looking at an 03 with 100k mi for $7400 and a second 03 with 60k mi for $8000, both are all stock and very clean. just go test drive it. these cars dont come stock with boost gauges so if it puts you in the seat from 2500rpms up to 5500rpms then your good.

Nevin.
03 SRT-4 132k mi ported stocker and lots of other stuff

68 Mustang Coupe project fail!!

PT Less - ex wife took in the divorce 3/2011
05 GT Cruiser H.O. last dyno 245hp/283tq @ 15psi OCT 08
3 in intake, Stage 1 PCM, Stage 2 WGA, ported turbo@21psi, 682cc, 160 deg T-stat, Check valve, Ngk 4306 plugs, 10mm spark plug wires, 3in O2, 3in DP, 3in Y-pipe with E-cutout, 2.5 in catback exhaust, upper/lower hardpipes, HKS SSQ bov, block off plate, Energy Suspention MM inserts, NSRT hawk HPS front/rear pads, NSRT Drilled/slotted rotors, NSRT steel braded front lines, Mopar 26mm Swaybar, NSRT energy suspention swaybar bushing, NSRT energy suspention swaybar endlinks, APC Non-turbo strut bar, Black housing headlights, Tinted rear tail lights, Schroth 4 point harness, Perrin catchcan, 3 pod a-piller, boost guage 30/30, oil pressure gauge, volt gauge